was doing so well - lost two yesterday

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slackwater, Jul 27, 2010.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Just need to be bummy for a minute - I was doing so well, hadn't lost anyone in a while, then yesterday one of my Marans pullets didn't come back from free-ranging (hoping it's not a predator that will come back) and one of my CQ pullets in the chick pen was laying dead (and being defeathered by her pen-mates). I know that's part of the trials and tribulations of chicken owning, but it doesn't make me feel any better at the moment [​IMG]

Here's to hoping everyone comes back from free-ranging today, and the chicks do not decide to take anyone else out (though I really don't know what happened with the CQ - she may have died for a random reason & then been picked at).

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I am sorry to hear this. [​IMG] It is so easy to get attached to our feathered friends. Here's hoping to a better day today also! [​IMG]

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My sympathies- I hope everybody is okay today and the days to come too-

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes it's part of chicken ownership, but it doesn't make it any easier when you lose them. (and it always seems to be the favorites) I'm so sorry.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I free range mine too, and I find when I lose one, I will lose another, as my predator has found easy pickings. When I lose one, and it sucks and it happens, I will keep them locked up in the coop for a couple of days, or let them out and round them up at different times, but limit the free ranging severely.

My theory is that the predator moves on, and quits waiting for an easy meal. Seems to have helped me. Just a tthought.

Mrs.K

6. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Mrs. K :

I free range mine too, and I find when I lose one, I will lose another, as my predator has found easy pickings. When I lose one, and it sucks and it happens, I will keep them locked up in the coop for a couple of days, or let them out and round them up at different times, but limit the free ranging severely.

My theory is that the predator moves on, and quits waiting for an easy meal. Seems to have helped me. Just a tthought.

Mrs.K

Yes we are in restriction mode now [​IMG] The free-range pullet did not come home today, so I am assuming she is gone for good (still holding out hope!). I know taht some say you should not free-range b/c of the risk...I try to accept the risk but it still doesn't make me happy. THe chickens are happier, though, when they get to get out in the morning, so I think it all makes it worth while [​IMG] I'm glad to hear others of the same mindset.​

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] she's just broody and you get her back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by