Was due 31st

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ga_goat, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    86 eggs, held perfect 99/100 the whole time so I locked down late on 28th and forgot about it , had my water topped off
    had no problems all the way through and sometime between the 28th and this afternoon the heating element broke . temp had dropped to 72 so I fouled in another element just hooked up by toutch coil in wire was much bigger and not as stretched out as much as the old one ,, so the thermostat was not tuned to the new element and temp jumped to 118 but only or a few min because the
    load burned the plug off the end of the wirs at the duplex . ,,got that fixed and the temp down to 99 and got my fingers crossed but little hope . held 60+ humidity tho .[​IMG]

2. f8thnjc

f8thnjc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bummer. Maybe you will still get some. Keep us posted.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I think you may be ok. Just wait and see. I'm suppose to have some start hatching tomorrow but I had a problem with my incubator too. I couldn't seem to hold a temp warm enough. Stayed at 97 most of the time. Once it jumped to 113! and this morning 110. Makes no sense. I think it's my thermometer acting up. I haven't gone to lock down since I think I am a couple of days off. Nothing pipped yet and no chirping so I will wait a bit till then. I did candle a few eggs the other day and they looked good. I'm hoping for a good hatch. Good luck.

4. madrooster

madrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    villa rica ,ga
    comon chics they can still do it ,sendin cool hatchin vibes to both of ya:cool:

5. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Counted 22 this afternoon with more pecking out , may have a 50 to 75 % hatch in spite of the emement burn out .
    seems that most of the BCM's are out and the dutch bantoms are doing well .

6. madrooster

madrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    villa rica ,ga
    very nice,[​IMG]

7. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Hatch count got up to 51 with some more pecking at 10 last nite ,,,, then the theromostat hung up ,,,,,,roast chicken anyone ?
    it got so hot that 2 hard plastic waterers that I had put in there to dry melted . Oh well there is always rebuild and NEXT TIME.

8. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Well crying time is over ,,, set 53 more today in my handbuilt cabinrt with 2 LG turners ,
    so I don't have to crank it twice a day . Hate loosing the dutch bantum eggs tho .

9. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Quote:I don't know if I am reading this right, but did you lose all the chicks? Even the ones that had hatched?

10. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Lost everything inside , blew the top off of a bulb thermometer , melted the plastic shell on a digital one , and melted 2 plastic
    quart jar waterers that were in there drying out , my best guess at the temp when I found it was probably around 300 ,
    felt like an oven door opening .

Quote:I don't know if I am reading this right, but did you lose all the chicks? Even the ones that had hatched?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by