1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Was Dusty Choking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Teila, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey folks .... I have been up since 4AM with Dusty [4 year old bantam Langshan] and just wanted to run past you guys n’ gals what happened.

Just before 4AM I got woken by what sounded like someone attempting to crow; thought nothing of it, rolled over didn’t even get back to sleep when I heard the flapping of wings, closely followed by someone squeaking when breathing.

I flew out the door, torch in hand and found Dusty laying [upright] on the coop floor struggling to breath, beak open, eyes shut, gasping and looking pretty close to death.

Grabbed her up and placed her on a towel on the outdoor table and started talking to her, stroking her neck, front and back. She tried to crow a couple of times and a couple of times there I thought we were going to lose her … couldn’t see much through the darn tears!

Anyways, she struggled and gasped for an hour and a half while we droppered water into her and tried to work out what was going on. No discharge from eyes or nares and funnily enough, even though she was having major trouble breathing, her comb was still nice and red. I couldn't feel anything while stroking her neck and tried some very gentle neck massage while hubby trolled the internet for anything we could get .. sadly, not much.

Anyways, all this time she was still laying [upright] and I had the idea to support her, off her chest to help with her breathing … half an hour of me and hubby taking turns doing that and she all of a sudden stands up on her own, still breathing a little heavy but very much improved and not looking like we were going to lose her.

She stopped gasping not long after that. We put her in a crate for a while with some food and water and to my surprise she ate. While she is a little doughy still [as in tired looking .. can't blame her] she is now in the garden with the rest of the flock, no open mouth or heavy breathing, preening and walking around.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened? I am wondering if something may have been caught lower down and it was not until we took the pressure off it moved? But why or how would something get stuck at 4AM. To be honest I have never seen anything like that and really have no idea what was going on [​IMG]

One crazy, emotion filled morning and I am truly grateful that she is still with us but interested on your thoughts as to what might have been going on?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I'm as puzzled as you, but maybe she did swallow something oversize to her air tube. [​IMG]
    GLAD all is well NOW. [​IMG]

3. Teila

Thank you cavemanrich!

Had it been during the day, I would have definitely said she was choking, but 4AM when she is on the roost is what is puzzling me.

It goes without saying that I am keeping a very close eye on her.

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I once had a similar occurrence, but it was actually different. 3 of my chickens got a respiratory disease, (not sure which) and checked out one per day.[​IMG]I thought that I would loose my whole small flock, but that did not happen. The way you described the chain of events was identical, only result was[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Teila

Aaaw cavemanrich I am sorry to hear that [​IMG]

I posted on a chat thread also and one of my friends responded: Sounds like she got startled and flew or fell off the roost. She probably had no idea what was going on and went into something like shock, and potentially got the wind knocked out of her. That would be my thoughts. Good thing you were there, it might be something similar that happens to those that are fine one day and dead the next morning.

That could also explain it and I am grateful that our coop is close to the bedroom window or we may have lost her. We are moving in the next few months and the coop is going to be further away from the house .. I am definitely investing in a baby monitor!

6. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The baby monitor is a good IDEA, as it would also give you a heads up if there was a predator trying to reap havoc. You could arrive in time to deter the offender. Not sure what nocturnal predators are near your home. I know you have like the WORLDS 7 MOST DEADLY SNAKES. My numbers may be off slightly. Run out wearing high leather boots and whatever needed to subdue snakey [​IMG]

7. Teila

LOL .. will do!

Living in the suburbs we do not really have a predator issue but we are moving from sub tropical to tropical and snakes are definitely going to be more of an issue than they are now.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  8. Teila

Just an update on Dusty .... she is fine [​IMG]

She was OK all day after the incident and the big test was last night. I kind of only half slept, with one ear on the coop and no noises overnight. Hubby went out to check this morning, because I am a sook and they all greeted him with “where’s breakfast” [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by