Was expecting some pipping by now but there's nothing.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karmlacres, Nov 12, 2010.

1. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I started with 6 eggs 3 weeks ago Wednesday afternoon. 3 were discarded at the day 8 candling due to nothing going on - but I was surprised due to the condition of the eggs. But the other 3 appeared to be viable. I was expecting to see some pipping by now but there appears to be nothing going on. I turned 2-3 times a day all this time and stopped turning Sunday.

How much longer should I wait?

Do I need to do anything? Would candling prove anything?

This is our first try at incubating and hatching so we're just not sure what we should do at this point in time.

Any hints, tips, suggestions are welcomed!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    You should of seen something by now. Days 20 - 22 are when 95% of the hatching occurs. You might see 5% hatch after that if the temps were off in the incubator. These late-comers are normally very weak and may not survive even if they do hatch. [​IMG]

There is nothing you can do at this point - - -Either they are going to hatch or they are not. They are past due and it is not looking good for this hatch. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The only advise I have for you is to set more eggs than just 6. Especially if they were shipped eggs!

4. karmlacres

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks. I found the info on the float test - so I think I'll try that in the morning.

Major bummer - my girls had each staked claim to one and have been watching the eggs.

These were eggs from my own hen/rooster ... not shipped.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Don't give up quite yet. If your temps were even a degree low your hatch could be delayed by a few days. I agree that it doesn't look promising, but I've seen too many thread where folks only wait for a day after their due, open them up to see if they can figure out what went wrong (good idea, just not that soon) and find a live chick inside--or worse break through a vein when they crack the egg and kill the chick inside by accident. As long as nothing smells bad it won't hurt anything to wait another day or so before tossing the eggs. Sorry your first attempt didn't go well--I know how my kids were and I feel for you. [​IMG]

6. karmlacres

Oct 3, 2010
    My incubator seemed to maintain a 99.5 temperature but that always seemed to be when the heating was taking place (light was on). It probably did go a tad lower. I have nothing to measure the humidity. I just made sure there was water in it every day.

I did the float test just now. One was a true dud. It sank and we opened it up ... nothing but yolk. I had hubby break it open while I watched with my head turned and eyes mostly shut. I'm not sure I could handle seeing a dead chicky. I don't care for death but at the same time, I knew it would be interesting to see what had formed.

The two that floated "properly" are back in the incubator. I can't say I saw them "rocking and rolling" but I figured they floated right and so I'll give them a bit more time in the incubator.

Should I leave my temp the way it is - the way it's been the entire incubation time at 99.5 or should I tap it up a bit? Would I be able to see anything if I candled?

I appreciate everyone's comments, even if they are not what I was hoping to hear! I rely on the people on this board to help through this chicken raising thing!!!

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Don't give up yet!!! I just had 3 hatch on days 25 and 26!!! I had my temps at 99.5 so just hang in there, you might get some pips. The waiting is the worst though!!!

8. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I wouldn't mess with the temp at this point. Those controls can be awfully darn touchy and I don't think a degree or so for the day or two more until they hatch or you start over will make much difference. I'd really recomend getting a hygrometer and calibrating it before you try incubating again though. You can get one for under $15 and it's well worth it. [​IMG]

ETA: What kind of bator are you using? Is it still air or does it have a fan?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  9. karmlacres

Oct 3, 2010
    It's a Little Giant Model 9200 (Still Air). As basic as they come as far as I know. Will a fan make that much of a difference?

10. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'm told it does--keeps the air moving and the temp. consistant throughout.

It's been awhile since I hatched (ok, less then a year, but my memory is gone) but I'm pretty sure I was keeping the temp at 100- 101.5 taken at the top of the eggs in my still air lg--hopefully a true hatchaholic will chime in here. I think the 99.5 temp is for forced air bators and if that is the case you've been running 1-2 degrees low the entire time. They might hatch yet, but it makes sense now why they're so far behind.

I've been using broody hens since I went back to work, but I miss the fun of the bator......just not brooding the dust producing little demons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by