Was forced to come to the realization.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JennH07, Jul 21, 2011.

1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    MY DH was home from work and we're in the pool watching my young chicks, 13 weeks, when he says you know that your favorite chicken is a rooster. DUH WHAT??? I take a good look at my darling Savory the black Cochin that i hatched from an egg, and I'll be d&*%#@ her comb is bright red as are her wattles. NNNNOOOOOOO She is a he, what I had been seeing for a while now and not wanting to admit, I love him anyways even though he bit me the other day when I tried to pick him up. So now I hae 3 young roos, way to many and needless to say that I'll be getting rid of 2, the barred rocks, as I can't bear to be separated from my baby. Just so sad I was so hoping for a hen, but you get what you get and deal with it!! But I just gotta say that he is the laziest chhicken I have EVER seen. He is constantly laying down. Walks a few steps and lays down, can't find his mates, runs around looking for them, as soon as he finds them he lays down, he is always laying down. Cracks me up, and makes him easier to catch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    That was my case to!!!

3. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    Thats funny...out of 13 I got 6 roos [​IMG]

4. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    out of 11 chickens i got 3 roos that i can tell from!! i cant tell with the silkies yet

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Do you have any close ups of the hackle and saddle feathers? While I'll admit that the comb is rather large and red, I'm not seeing other roo-ish characteristics in the photos you posted. Some girls do mature faster than others. Below is a pic of one of my hens at 16 weeks. I knew she was a hen from very early on and she never developed any roo-ish feathering. Nevertheless when I posted pics of her on here as an example of a hen who matured early, I got 4 pages of people, including some very experienced people, trying to tell me she was a roo. I thought it was hilarious to be honest, because it was so clear she was a hen. Of course, even while the debate was going on, she started squatting, and laid her first egg at 18 weeks. Now, a few weeks later, she lays almost every day. So you can't go by just the comb - what is more telling is the pointy hackle and saddle feathers.
    [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I helped a chick hatch and raised it and I was in denial about it's sex. Until one day when I was sitting with him on my lap and he crowed. Boy, did I jump! I couldn't deny it any longer. My ears were ringing! And it wasn't a practice crow either. He'd been practicing on the sly...

7. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    HeChicken,
    now that you mention it the hackles of my Savory are very short, not like the other roos that I have. His/her tail feathers are still kinda just lumpy, fot a real tail yet at all. It well be intersting to see if it crows.

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I am wondering if you have a roo at all?

9. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    It doesn't look very rooish to me.[​IMG]

10. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    X2 I dont see roo signs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by