Was given an injured chick today. Need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NuggetLover, Mar 1, 2013.

1. NuggetLover

NuggetLover New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    I am a new chick owner (as of yesterday). Today when I visited my local feed store they showed me a chick who had arrived with the others that was hobbling around. I ended up bringing it home... Couldn't stand to see it being picked on by the others. After doing my research, it seemed to have a slipped tendon. I looked online and found suggestions on what to do, so I made a brace with a q-tip and a band-aid. It is now standing upright and walking around. Is there anything else I can do, or just give it time?
    [​IMG]
    Close-up of leg

[​IMG]
    Trying to walk

[​IMG]
    Walking with Q-tip brace

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Do you have a heat lamp on him? Baby chicks need to be kept at 95 degrees and then subtract 5 degrees every week after the first. I would also go get a couple more friends for her. Chickens tend to get lonely without a friend.

3. NuggetLover

NuggetLover New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    The chick is in with his friends now, just placed in another spot when I got it so that I could get it walking. It is getting around very well now! I am amazed at its progress in just a few hours! Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by