was I too aggressive with the vertical nipple waterer? (2 week old chicks)

ryansacct22

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2020
Today I took away the messy waterer and started them on a vertical nipple waterer.

I held all their beaks up to the water. 4 of them acted like they were being waterboarded, 2 of them actually took a sip or three. I did this twice.

I put a mealworm on each of the nipples to see if they drink anything throughout the night.

These chicks are 15 days old so I appreciate that they are fragile. If they can't figure out the waterer throughout the night, are they likely going to die? Should I put a secondary waterer in the coop for the night (I'm afraid they'll never learn if I do this)? Thanks.

They will probably get the hang of it. Training them may take a few days or so. Just observe them and maybe continue showing them the nipples. They should be fine at night but keep an eye on them during the day.

I tapped on the nipple waterer with my finger until my chicks got curious and investigated it. The chicks will learn from watching each-other. As soon as the first chick gets the hang of it, the others will figure it out.

Thank you. My chicks hate me so much that they won't eat scrambled eggs or mealworms out of my hand so I think I'll forgo tapping on it anymore lol.

I dunno what I ever did to them!

You'd think you tried to stuff their faces into some sort of drippy strange monster lol.
Let them keep the messy one but leave the nipple accessible too so they get used to seeing it.
Eventually they'll get curious and peck it then everything will click for them. :)
Thank you. My chicks hate me so much that they won't eat scrambled eggs or mealworms out of my hand so I think I'll forgo tapping on it anymore lol.

I dunno what I ever did to them!

You'd think you tried to stuff their faces into some sort of drippy strange monster lol.
Let them keep the messy one but leave the nipple accessible too so they get used to seeing it.
Eventually they'll get curious and peck it then everything will click for them. :)
Thanks. The bears are out tonight (don't worry I have the coop bear proofed) So I won't be checking on them until morning. In the morning I will add a second waterer. Thanks for your help and lol, fair point, they dislike me for a good reason I suppose. Also I have no idea what I'm doing so I pick them up wrong, I try to pet them like a dog and they look at me like an idiot etc.

I'm a city guy who moved to the country... but hopefully they can sense that I mean well. God bless the pigs I get next spring.

Thanks. The bears are out tonight (don't worry I have the coop bear proofed) So I won't be checking on them until morning. In the morning I will add a second waterer. Thanks for your help and lol, fair point, they dislike me for a good reason I suppose. Also I have no idea what I'm doing so I pick them up wrong, I try to pet them like a dog and they look at me like an idiot etc.

I'm a city guy who moved to the country... but hopefully they can sense that I mean well. God bless the pigs I get next spring.

That reminds me of the day I picked up my pullets. My husband have to teach the chickens to go up the steps to the coop. Almost dark and still don't know how to climb up. We ended up picking them and put them in their perches. When I woke up in the morning they are still inside and didn't know how to go out and get out in the run. Lol...

Oh, pigs are a cake walk compared to chickens!
Chickens are nuts, there isn't a right way to do anything and even if there was they would hate it, be terrified of it or crap on it.
It is universal, nobody gets rational chickens.
You have pigs in the bag good sir.:)

Back
Top Bottom