Was I wrong about the sex of my muskovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keyt1969, Sep 16, 2012.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked up a muscovy duckling in June and both the breeder and I sexed it and we agreed it was a female. But the more I look at her the more I wonder if she's a male. I don't see the curl in the tail though. S/he is 3 months old now. Any ideas??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Scovies don't get drake curls, that's the mallards and mallard dirived breeds.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    like Celtic said, no drake curl in scovies

what breed is the blue duck shown in the first pic? swedish or runner maybe? if your scovy is male, it will be larger than those two breeds by now. Looks female to me but hard to say without another to compare size.

4. keyt1969

The one in the background is an old blue cayuga. I have another scovie pair. This baby is similar in size to my other female but what scared me are the carnucles. Aren't they too big for a female? I guess I could attempt to get a shot of her next to my other female tomorrow.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Females also have different amounts of caruncles. Less than males but some more than others. By 3 months, mine were just about adult size and she would already be larger than your other female if she was a boy. Looks like a feminine head so I still say girt. Very pretty too.

6. keyt1969

Hmmm. Well I have pics on another post and I'm confused. You all say female here but a responder on the other post say male. Either way he/she is sweet.

7. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I have Muscovy ducks around the same age - looks like a female to me also.

8. keyt1969

That's what I thought but someone on my other post says male. [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That's a pretty short leg for a drake lol can you grab it? like does it make a hissing or a honk sound.. my almost 4mth drakes are sorta hissing but their sister for sure honks and loud ...

10. keyt1969

It makes sort of a squeaking sound if I pick it up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by