Was I wrong? Parenting Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LegginMF12, Nov 12, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Today I made my 10 yr old stepson take a freezing cold shower. Sounds mean right?
    Well here is why. Said child daily goes into the bathroom turns on the shower and instead of waiting the minute it takes for the water to get hot, he goes to the living room and starts watching cartoons and FORGETS that he turned the water on. He has so far managed to completely empty this 40 gallon water heater on 6 different occasions. He has been grounded for it (usually one day in room after school) Lost t.v. and video game privileges (the first time for 2 days the 2nd time for a week) and he has lost his allowance for a week. He is not getting the message. So he did it again today and I have places I need to be. I told him tough you need to get in the shower right now, I don't care if there isn't any hot water left, it's not my fault. On the flip side I am going to go and take my own freezing cold shower in about 10 minutes. Was I wrong to do this, he seems pretty upset about it. I did kick the heater on and bumped it up to 78 so it wouldn't be cold when he got out.

2. inputoutput

inputoutput Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    That's the perfect punishment, IMO. Cause and Effect.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Well, if that's the only water left after he let the shower run, then that is what he has to shower with.

I can't imagine what your elec bill is with him emptying the hot water tank all the time.

4. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:Yep........I agree........cause and effect......that is what I do with my 6

5. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I think I would have done the same thing. Mean? Maybe, but is there anyone on this site that didn't think their parent was mean for doling out some punishment? It's a great way to teach cause and effect. Another lesson might be to show him the water bill (if you're metered) and deduct his share for a couple months. Might teach him that things aren't free and waste has penalties. Welcome to the Mean Parent Society (no dues - we figure you've paid them already!).

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Sounds as if the punishment fits the crime. [​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It's not a punishment, it's the logical consequence of his actions. If an adult and did that (leaving the shower to run until the hot water was gone) and still needed to shower before work, they would have to endure a cold shower.

8. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    pips&peeps :

Well, if that's the only water left after he let the shower run, then that is what he has to shower with.

I can't imagine what your elec bill is with him emptying the hot water tank all the time.

I wish it was electric, I run propane! Very expensive!​

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If more parents would teach consequences like that we would have way fewer kids incarcerated. My daughter worked for years at a juvenile facility and the vast majority of those kids had been raised by people who were forever trying to fix the kids' screw-ups rather than make them deal with it. Good for you!
    sharon

10. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    No - of course it is not mean.

My kids are 23, 21 and 17, and they have rarely been punished. I chose to ignore bad behavior and reward good. My oldest 2 are girls, so that makes it much easier.

My kids have learned self-discipline and natural consequences. A cold shower is a natural consequence of draining the water heater.

Girls are delightful, independant, motivated, wanting to please everyone with grades and achievements.

Boys are creatures I do not understand that love all attention - negative or positive - much like labrador retrievers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by