Was injecting chick with tylan and saw blood after!!

Orasa

Hatching
Jun 19, 2019
I had a friend who is very experienced show me how to inject young chicks with tylan 50 subcutaneously for respiratory infection

Have been following her directions for a little bit now and never had this happen! Then tonight I did a last injection on a chick and saw a small spot of blood after, as well as a little blood under the skin. Usually there is a small 'bubble' of the tylan but not blood!

Very worried, what do I do if I hit a vein or something?

I was taught to inject just under/behind the wing where skin is a bit looser than back of the neck (or so I was told)

This particular chick is not super bad with the respiratory yet, it had just shown signs of sneezing etc but is not really very weak

If you got the Tylan IV and if that has deadly consequences, you’d know instantly. You probably nicked a vessel. Always pull back on the plunger to check for blood before injecting and you should be ok.

Last edited:
I had a friend who is very experienced show me how to inject young chicks with tylan 50 subcutaneously for respiratory infection

Have been following her directions for a little bit now and never had this happen! Then tonight I did a last injection on a chick and saw a small spot of blood after, as well as a little blood under the skin. Usually there is a small 'bubble' of the tylan but not blood!

Very worried, what do I do if I hit a vein or something?

I was taught to inject just under/behind the wing where skin is a bit looser than back of the neck (or so I was told)

This particular chick is not super bad with the respiratory yet, it had just shown signs of sneezing etc but is not really very weak
Hi @Orasa :frow Welcome To BYC

You probably hit a blood vessel.

Did you know that injectable Tylan50 can be given orally? This may be a better way to go than injecting it since you have to give it 3 times a day for 5 days, that a lot of times to stick a chick and you may end up with injection site necrosis.

In case you need dosing information here it is. Injectable Tylan50 dosage is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Do you have any idea which respiratory disease that your chick may have?

Not sure which one specifically, we just know that it's an upper respiratory. It's been going through our brooder for a bit

Sneezing, some gasping if they get really bad, swollen sinus/eyes. After a while if we don't catch it they get too weak to want to eat/drink

We're looking for a good water soluble treatment so we can treat them all that way, at the same time

Not sure which one specifically, we just know that it's an upper respiratory. It's been going through our brooder for a bit

Sneezing, some gasping if they get really bad, swollen sinus/eyes. After a while if we don't catch it they get too weak to want to eat/drink

We're looking for a good water soluble treatment so we can treat them all that way, at the same time
You really only want to treat those that have symptoms.
Tylan50 is good for treating respiratory disease like Mycoplasma.

Back
Top Bottom