Was it pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shannonannon, Mar 2, 2008.

1. shannonannon

shannonannon New Egg

Mar 2, 2008
    Hi folks... my 10 little fuzzies arrived on Thrusday and have settled right in. I checked everyone's hineys yesterday afternoon with no cause for concern and when i left the house this morning they were all just fine. 3 hours later I came home and we lost one of the ameraucanas.
    she was still warm (lamp maybe) and I think she had just died. Her tummy was soft and everything looked normal, except she was crusty on her bum.

How long does it take for pasting up to cause death? Could the crusty bum been drying after she died?

Bummed out and wanting to protect the others.

Thanks for the help

Shannon:(

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I know pasting up won't cause them to die till it drys up and they can't pass any more. But is long as you keep there vent from getting covered they should be fine. I herd that you can ethier just wipe it off or put vegtable oil on them. I prefer just to wipe them off witha warm damp rag. Just be really easy when you wipe them off.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is very normal to suffer a chick loss early on. Often there is no explanation or obvious reason why. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by