was just wondering if Vent sexing Peafowl peachicks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by JordanFamily, May 15, 2010.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I was just wondering if vent sexing peachicks is anything like vent sexing geese??? I can vent sex my Sebastopol goslings pretty easily and was wondering if it is the same with peachicks??? If not how is it different? Or is there a way to sex BS and midnight BS by color when they are young? Thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well, If you are hatching regular Black Shoulders and Midnight Black Shoulders you will want to wing band or keep them separated because the hens do look a like and you will more then likely never be able to tell them a part, As for sexing them as young ones I am not sure you will have to let some that raises the B/S tell you how.

3. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:Well don't the midnights have mostly regular blues and just every now and then there is a midnight... It is a new color and is not dominate so I think you really don't know if it is a regualar blue or midnight until it's color starts to come in... Because midnights throw both colors you see... The color does not breed true... If I'm wrong please let me know and explain but that is what I was told...

4. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    If you have a midnight BS male and a midnight BS hen you will get 100% midnight BS chicks. There is no way to tell a midnight BS hen from a regular BS hen or a BS hen split to midnight there is not enought neck color to tell. The only way you will get some midnight and regular color chicks is with a split hen or split pair.
    Doug

5. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Well don't the midnights have mostly regular blues and just every now and then there is a midnight... It is a new color and is not dominate so I think you really don't know if it is a regualar blue or midnight until it's color starts to come in...
    Because midnights throw both colors you see... The color does not breed true... If I'm wrong please let me know and explain but that is what I was told...

Who ever told you that was wrong, If your male is Midnight B/S and your hen is Midnight B/S you will get 100% Midnight B/S Chicks, The only way you can get both Midnight and Blue B/S is if one or both of your birds are Split, And you still will not be able to tell the hens apart.

Steve

6. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:Well don't the midnights have mostly regular blues and just every now and then there is a midnight... It is a new color and is not dominate so I think you really don't know if it is a regualar blue or midnight until it's color starts to come in...
    Because midnights throw both colors you see... The color does not breed true... If I'm wrong please let me know and explain but that is what I was told...

Who ever told you that was wrong, If your male is Midnight B/S and your hen is Midnight B/S you will get 100% Midnight B/S Chicks, The only way you can get both Midnight and Blue B/S is if one or both of your birds are Split, And you still will not be able to tell the hens apart.

Steve

Oh I get it now... I asked the guy again and he said he had a midnight bs cock in with two split hens and I guess I missunderstood him... So from his pen I would get either a bs split to midnight or midnight bs... Right???

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes if the hens were split bs and midnight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by