Was Mama a Buff or Partridge? (Silkie genetics ?) PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThePaintedHen, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ThePaintedHen

ThePaintedHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    One of my hens has been brooding on a single egg for a while now and it hatched yesterday! (Very exciting, my first hatch ever!) I was thinking that the Mom was my Buff Silkie, as I originally found the egg in "her" nest under the children's playhouse. But, I think it's pattern looks like Partridge, and I also have a Partridge hen. So, I guess I am wondering - Is this a Partridge chick? And can a Buff have a Partridge chick? Or carry the Partridge gene? Or was this baby definitely from my Partridge Silkie? The roo was a White naked-neck (a.k.a. "Showgirl) Silkie, and the baby got the naked-neck gene. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThePaintedHen

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    Bump. Anyone????

3. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    It looks like a mongrel. Nothing really wrong with that, but you can't show him/her.

4. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Maybe it's a buff partridge? :p Maybe your on to something! :lol:

5. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Interesting....it has the partridge markings, but Ive never seen a partridge so...buff in base color as a chick. I'd say it will likely end up a light partridge. Who knows what daddy might have been hiding under the white. I really want some showgirls at some point. I think they are adorable.

6. ThePaintedHen

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    Oh, showing this little chick wasn't even on my radar, so mongrel is a-okay with me. I was just really excited to have a single egg hatch in the dead of winter! :) And I am super curious which hen was the layer so I could learn more about Silkie color genetics. I have the whole Blue/Black/Splash color genetics figured out, but just can't find much reliable info out there on the other colors.

7. ThePaintedHen

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    So maybe the hen was the Buff? Argh, I may never really know... As soon as I saw that little naked neck though, I knew for sure who the roo was! I got my Showgirls at a local swap this past Fall.Their naked neck is alarmingly strange and yet cute. I don't think they were raised by hand, but despite that they are getting very friendly are easy to hold. The rooster in particular is very friendly. The hen is a bit more flighty. She was the one that actually brooded the egg, but I know the egg wasn't hers - she lays in the box and her eggs look different (more pointy, pinker, and smaller than my regular Silkies). When she isn't broody, the Showgirl hen gives me an egg almost every day. Score!

1 person likes this.
  8. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    Yeah, it can get pretty complicated!!! And congrats on the chick. I'm sure it has an awesome home.

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

looks partridge/wheaten mix. eWh/eb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by