1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Was My Rare Exotic an EE

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by valkerri, Oct 16, 2009.

1. valkerri

valkerri Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Oregon, WI
    Do you think McMurray hatchery would have included an EE (Americana/Arauncana) as the 26th "rare exotic" chick. We thought "Farah" was possibly a phoenix or a golden penciled hamburg. But I can no longer deny she looks looks just like some of the other EEs that have been posted on this site. She's got that thick neck with muff and whiskers. She does NOT look like the 4 other Americanas that we actually ordered which is why we singled her out as our exotic chick. But, MM doesn't list Arauncanas in their "rare and unusual breeds" section.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/category/rare_and_unusual_breeds.html

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have read lots of folks get them as their rare chick, so I would say yes, it's possible.

3. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    My rare exotic was an EE roo

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We got a pretty EE pullet. [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    What color are your red roo's earlobes? That would tell you if he's leghorn or RIR. White earlobe..leghorn. Red earlobe, rhodie. Of course, I don't know of any hatcheries that have real RIR. Production or sexlink is more likely.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep it is not unusual to get EE as a rare or exotic chick. Disappointing, isn't it?

7. valkerri

valkerri Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Oregon, WI
    Thanks everyone for your input. Farah is very pretty and she's one of the most adventurous of all 25 in the order (various breeds). At least I'll get more green eggs! Only one other of the Ameracanas that I ordered (out of 4) turned out to be a pullet, so this is an OK outcome.

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Lucky! Mine was a red star pullet! I guess I'm lucky it was a pullet and not a roo! LOL!

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by