Was only getting green eggs and today I found a blue one

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiki_chickens, Oct 22, 2010.

1. tiki_chickens

tiki_chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    Anaheim, CA
    I have three EE's and they all lay about 5 to 6 eggs a week. They have been laying since July and one of them keeps popping out double yolks. That's not an issue. The issue is that they have been laying light green eggs all this time. I walk out there this morning and a big blue egg is sitting in the nest box. Blue as a cloudless summer sky!

What the heck? I thought egg color didn't change!

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Are you certain all three of your girls have been laying?

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You could have one of two explainations for this. The first is what tiki_chickens suggests, that one of your girls has not been laying all this time and has finally started to lay. The other (and if I am wrong about this please someone chime in and correct me) it is my understanding that the "green" color is caused by a brown film put on a blue egg as the hen is laying the egg. It could be that your girl "forgot" to add the brown to get the green this time. You will know your answer tomorrow I suspect when you collect your eggs.

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:X2 . The brown tint can be inconsistant , and often changes during a laying period .

5. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm leaning toward the possibility that your one hen hasn't been laying all this time. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Get more eggs AND a new color! What age did your two other EEs begin to lay? So many people mention EEs waiting until they were 9 months (or one a one & 1/2 YEAR). Good LUCK! [​IMG] My EEs are both 7 months and not a colored egg in sight. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  6. tiki_chickens

tiki_chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    Anaheim, CA
    That's not possible that one hen wasn't laying all this time because I collect every day and I often collect all 3 green eggs. Not to mention I've actually witnessed all 8 of my girls pop one out. So I don't understand. It baffles me.

Oh yeah... and all my chickens started laying at 5 months, except my silkie who didn't lay for another month

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by