Was She Even Brooding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrdruids, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    we had a nervous week or 2 a lil while ago, we thought one of our girls was going under the house and laying a clutch to brood, she was only coming out for a little bit each day to eat and drink then she would disappear again. Later on i luckily found her spot behind the gas meter on the side of the house sitting on 10 eggs. but right after we took them she resumed her normal activities like we broke her brood, was she just that easy to break or was it something else? shes a bantam dutch and she hasn't laid since, its been about 2 weeks since we took the eggs.... whats goin on here?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It could be that her broodiness was broken when she lost her clutch. What is the temp like where you are at? It's possible she was hiding under the house during a heatwave (smart girl). If your temps have been pretty much the same, I'd say broken broodiness.

3. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    its been hotter than usual like 70s to 80s i think, but apparently she wasnt under the house, its nice that she broke so easily, the last one was very stubborn shes a bantam brahma

any idea how long shell be out of laying commission?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Wow, she broke really easily! Mine are usually out of lay for several weeks after they break. However, some keep getting broody again. I have a bantam EE who lays for just a few weeks, then broody again. This cycle goes on all year from early spring until the fall molt.

5. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:wow that must be annoying [​IMG]

6. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    No, not annoying, because she is always ready to set on a clutch if I want her to. She is my only dependable broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by