Was she squatting? UPDATE!!!! WE HAVE EGGS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom wewantchicks!, Aug 2, 2008.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    last night we were in the yard with the chickens. my youngest son goes and picks up one of them,with her back to his belly feet out. well this is fine usually he picks them up like this and they dont really mind but dont really love it!! well,she lets him without a fuss,so i go and have him put her down. i notice that shes sitting all hunched up and first thing i think is oh, no shes hurt!! when i go and pet her back she sort of keeps all squated down,i back away and she jumps up and runs around like all is fine! then it hits me! was she squating? in a previous post i read this is a really good sign they are getting ready to lay!! i was so excited my dh thought something was wrong!! so am i right? is that what was going on,because ive never seen them do that before

EDITED TO SAY I GOT MY FIRST EGG. i knew id be excited,but i didnt relize how much. i called my dh at work, my mom, all 3 of my sister, and as soon as my son woke up from his nap i rushed him into the kitchen to see it. he was excited to,because it came from one of his chickens that is assumed to be a BA. i have a pic, just havent had time to sit and upload it,casue my computer is slow. maybe later
    ok here they are!!!!
    [​IMG]
    he was so proud
    [​IMG]
    a few days later we got 2 eggs!!!!
    [​IMG]
    YUMMY

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It means they are sexually maturing. It's a step on the road to eggs but doesn't
    mean they will lay tommorrow.

It also means they like you. [​IMG]

3. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    lol, after all this time they do like me. in the other post it said a few weeks, so that is exciting although we will be moving in two weeks so that will probably set them back.

4. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Oh yeah, they like you. Squatting is a submissive thing(sometimes). My friendly chickens
    squat when I walk near them but my unfriendly birds just run.

Moving may set them back. They need a few days to settle in. On the other hand I gave
    away several laying hens in the past few months who all seem to lay right away.

I guess when an egg is on deck it's gotta launch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    PurpleChicken, aren't you going to share your "Squat" song? [​IMG] [​IMG]

mom,wewantchicks!, congrats on your first squatter! [​IMG] Just wait until you walk into their run and you get a dozen of them squatting, makes you feel like royalty with your subjects bowing to you!! Don't be disconserted if some of them seem to be mooning you, there's always a few political discontents... [​IMG]

6. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:OK just once though....

Hummmmmmmmmmm

Silkie did the squat
    My Silkie did the squat
    Silkie did the squat
    Looked up at me and did the squat

Repeat

[​IMG]

7. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    i added some pictures,hope everyone enjoys as much as my kids have enjoyed looking for eggs. today was the first day no eggs, the kids where so sad,maybe tommorow we will have 3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by