1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Was sold as a Black Jersey Giant but...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Just plucky, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Just plucky

Just plucky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Oregon
    ..she doesn't look like one to me or if she is she's only half JG. She was bought by a friend from a feedstore and is between a year and a year & a half old. Size wise she's about the same as a Buff Orpington maybe smaller, her waddles are quite large I think & her tail is like a rudder!:lol: We think she looks like a RIR/JG cross, what do you think? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the picture quality, I can get bettter tomorrow if needed!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    As for size that can be very deceiving especially with fluffy chickens like Orpingtons. You really have to pick up a chicken to judge it's true size. A tight feathered chicken like Cornish looks small until you pick them up too.

Your bird looks like a typical hatchery Jersey Giant. Hatchery birds are bred for production and to "resemble" the breed. It's hard to say what was worked in to increase egg laying but your guess of Production Red (hatchery RIR) is probably right. Not that it's a 50/50 cross rather a good production layer was worked into the genetics generations ago. What hatchery's are concerned with as far as Jersey Giant breed goes is that it's a large black bird with single comb and white skin/legs that lays well. That adds up to Jersey Giant excepting body type (wrong tail and large comb being a few) and the fact it lays so well.

2 people like this.
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a hatchery Jersey Giant to me.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. Just plucky

Just plucky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Oregon
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. We have two other hatchery JG hens both from different places who look a lot more "normal" and two roos that look more like JGs too which is why the one in question is so odd to us. The one in the pic below came from the same feedstore/hatchery and the other three came from a different hatchery(New Mexico)
    Big Hen same hatchery as Countess
    [​IMG]

New Mexico Hatchery trio, Little Hen
    [​IMG]
    Ludo
    [​IMG]
    Thor
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by