1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Was supposed to be Americana Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lydiagirl99, Jul 1, 2016.

1. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    This is my Rooster, Prince. Quite a beautiful bird and a wonderful Rooster to have. We got lucky with him considering we got him from someone off Craigslist, but the people told us he was an Americana Rooster but he has a Single Comb which doesn't match with what an Americanas comb is supposed to be. Can anyone give me some input?[​IMG]

2. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Maybe he had an EE that he considered 'americauna' and he crossed it with something with a single comb to produce your boy. He'd still be an EE, or barnyard mix.

3. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I suppose you could be right. I hatched 2 of his eggs that he fathered, that was crossed with my Red sex link, so I wanted to know what the babies were mixed with but I suppose I'm just going to call them little barnyard mixes [​IMG] Thank you !

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Is he ever handsome!

5. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    "Americana" is a fancy term for an easter egger, since there is no standard for easter eggers (while there are preferred traits) he can still be a EE without fitting the type of most. I will say though that he most likely doesn't carry the colored egg gene, straight combed birds tend to lay a normal egg shade. A pea comb is directly linked to the blue/green egg genetics.

6. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    He looks a lot like a salmon faverolle though, minus the feather feet and a few other features.

7. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I just looked them up and you're right. He does not have any feathers on his feet, though [​IMG] Maybe he's just a little Odd looking EE.

and @CluckerCottage , Thank you ! He is a gorgeous Roo.

8. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Could be a hatchery quality Faverolle... Hatchery birds commonly lack a couple characteristics of the breed. but to be safe I would call him an EE, at the least he should throw chicks with that beautiful beard!

9. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He Definitely Is A Beautiful Boy. Like I said, we got lucky with him [​IMG]
    These are his 2 children I am keeping. The Black one, Penguin, Is only a little over a week old but the bigger one, Bruno, is a little over 4 weeks old. Would you guys be able to Tell me if its a Pullet or not ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    That is a cockerel, you may choose to rehome him. But he should be quite the looker once he is more mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by