Was this a good emergancy chick starter ?

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
well today I ran out of chick starter on my 3 day old chicks !! Feed store is closed so I had to improvize and MAKE some on short notice !!this is what I made it with, I have some extra that I can use tomarrow or throw out. Is it good to keep, or did I hurt them by giving it to them ??

Ingredients

1 cup cracked corn ( processed by Magic Bullet )
3 slices whole wheat toast dry ( processed by Magic Bullet )
1/2 cup dry dog food ( processed by Magic Bullet )

adoptedbyachicken

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
I doubt you harmed them feeding that for a day, or even two, and as I hate waste I would not throw it out, just mix what I had left into the feed when I got it. Right off hand looking at your list I suspect the protein is too low, what is the % on the dog food? Cat food is more often used to treat chickens, or just give molting ones a boost for it's high protein. For chicks milk or milk powder is another great protein if you ever need it.

Over all I have to say good work getting them something tasty!

Tiramisu

Got Mutts
12 Years
May 3, 2008
Milan PA
I had to feed mine w/e i had for over a week....the darn store just happened to be out the day i got them and took forever to get any in. So i fed very little layer feed, bird seeds, cracked corn. I gave them cottage cheese sometimes.

with the dog food, maybe cat food would be better? I know people suggest cat food more, but dont over do it. It will have more protien so that will be good ot help them grow.
I don't really know what is best too feed though :\\

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
The dog food says " crude protein 21% min " so I ground up a cup more and mixed it in with what was left so there's more protein, because im not going to buy chick starter before 5 a.m. when they wake up and start eating

Top Bottom