Was this a good emergancy chick starter ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jun 8, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    well today I ran out of chick starter on my 3 day old chicks !! Feed store is closed so I had to improvize and MAKE some on short notice !!this is what I made it with, I have some extra that I can use tomarrow or throw out. Is it good to keep, or did I hurt them by giving it to them ??

Ingredients

1 cup cracked corn ( processed by Magic Bullet )
    3 slices whole wheat toast dry ( processed by Magic Bullet )
    1/2 cup dry dog food ( processed by Magic Bullet )

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I doubt you harmed them feeding that for a day, or even two, and as I hate waste I would not throw it out, just mix what I had left into the feed when I got it. Right off hand looking at your list I suspect the protein is too low, what is the % on the dog food? Cat food is more often used to treat chickens, or just give molting ones a boost for it's high protein. For chicks milk or milk powder is another great protein if you ever need it.

Over all I have to say good work getting them something tasty!

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I had to feed mine w/e i had for over a week....the darn store just happened to be out the day i got them and took forever to get any in. So i fed very little layer feed, bird seeds, cracked corn. I gave them cottage cheese sometimes.

with the dog food, maybe cat food would be better? I know people suggest cat food more, but dont over do it. It will have more protien so that will be good ot help them grow.
    I don't really know what is best too feed though :\\

4. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    scrambled eggs are good for emergencies also

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess in the wild they'd be eating all kinds of things but I'd go back to chick feed as soon as possible. Don't want to deal with "pasty butt"! [​IMG]

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    The dog food says " crude protein 21% min " so I ground up a cup more and mixed it in with what was left so there's more protein, because im not going to buy chick starter before 5 a.m. when they wake up and start eating

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I am all about eggs & wheat bread. If it'll feed my 6'3" son, it'll do for some chicks!

8. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:my 6'3" son, it'll do for some chicks!

wwwooooooooowww he's bigger than my house........

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by