Was this a good idea. I moved a broody hen,now she,,,,

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, May 17, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I moved a broody hen today,Because of the the other ones where laying in her box...So i moved her to the next building beside the one that she was in. Well she wasnt impress with me at all. She made such a racket ,she upset all of the other also. But anyways,now that she is quite.She will not go back to her eggs. I left the eggs in the same box...Will she go back to them. Or do i have to put her back in the other building.?I dont know if this was a good idea or not. ..I am beginning to think this wasnt a good idea after all moving her. What do you suggested?

2. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I am waiting on a answer....Should i move her back or leave her and see what happens. ?

3. millie481

millie481 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    If you have a dog crate put it to use... This way she is within eye/ear shot of the rest of the flock and she will be sheltered from the other girls trying to lay in her nest as well. [​IMG] goodluck!

4. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    thanks. I Put her back. She sure didnt like that much of a change. I am going to wait until the eggs are almost ready to hatch. THen i will put her in a dog crate ,,,But in the same building. It has been over a hour since she was sitting on them. I hope it didnt hurt them at all. She went straight to her nest. The eggs are only 5 days old. Do you think it would of hurt the eggs at all?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Moving a hen during the course of the day rarely works unless the nest is a contained environment of some sort from initiation of setteing;i.e., a box or crate. Moving very carefully after dark is somewhat more successful. I doubt that the 5 hours she spent off the eggs will cause any problems.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    thanks sourland. The eggs are 5 days old. She was off for about a hour or so.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I moved 2 broodies successfully. I did it at night. I put the hens head under her wing (sorta), keeping her in the dark. I took the nest and eggs to the new location, and sat the girls down on them. They are both in a long (about 9 ft) rabbit hutch, one at each end. They are due to hatch any day now. My plan is to put a divider in place tomorrow, in case they try to steal each other's chicks, or worse.

Good luck!

8. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Best to move them at night, then the broody just wakes up in her new environment and is more likely to stay setting. And it's much less risky to move her before the eggs hatch...we made the mistake of trying to move a broody and her day old chicks in the dark and one got stepped on (VERY sad...).

9. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok. thanks everyone i will try that

10. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I would NOT wait until right before they hatch. Because if she does the same thing that she just did, then you are screwed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by