was this a predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kovalciks Chickens, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    Okay I have 3 hens and 1 roo Japs that I let out every morning into their run. I had to tag meat birds at the fair ground this morning so I didnt let them out until 2 o clock. So I let em out and went back out around 4 and there were only 2 hens. I look all around the run. Their was no feathers but I did find a drop of blood 4mm across and 2 others even smaller. The run is about 3 feet tall and string is strung across the top to prevent hawks. I did notice that not as many eggs were being laid but their is no way she can escape so she can be sitting on a clutch. I dont think she got out but could she? It was during the day so I dont know what type of predator it might be. PLEASE HELP. She is my showmanship bird and the fair is less than 1 month away.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The run is about 3 feet tall

Most anything can go over a 3 ft fence.
    If you found blood, I'd say she's gone

If she had escaped on her own, she probably would have come back near dark

Sorry​

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    My bantams and turkeys, full grown and young, can all fly over our 4 foot fence when they feel like it. But when they get out on their own they are alway running around the fence trying to get back in. They don't usually go far. They tend to want to stay close to their flock. We had one that we changed coops on and he didn't like it so he flew out every day. Something ended up getting him. After catching him 3 or 4 times he figured us out and we could not catch him anymore. Sorry about losing your chicken though. It still doesn't make it any easier. [​IMG]

4. Kovalciks Chickens

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    Well the string above the fence makes it really hard for her to fly out and hawks to fly in. And it doesnt look like enough blood for her to be dead since its such a minute amount, and their are no feathers.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How far apart is the string? I have had birds get tangled in string over pens and die. I will no longer use it.

6. Kovalciks Chickens

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    about a foot but all the birds u have are very calm and never fly

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Your fence is way too low. A fox, coon, opossum just about anything could have been in there and out without leaving a trace, string or no string. I hate that you lost your bird. That is a very sick feeling when you find one missing...especially one of show quality.

8. Kovalciks Chickens

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    She Came Back!!! Idk Where She Went Though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by