Was this normal? Black-Sex Link Going Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wishapup, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Several years ago, I had a Black Harco (Black Sex-Link) hen go broody during the summer. We let her sit on a few eggs and she actually stayed on them. It was my first experience with broody hen hatching.

Unfortunately, I discovered on the day the chicks hatched that she was not a good mother. When I found them, 2 chicks hatched--a little black one, who she had killed, and a yellow chick that she blinded! It was a horrible experience.

I'm thinking that is rather rare to have a Sex-Link go broody? Did she not have the instincts to mother her chicks?

I would really like to try again in the spring with a 6-year-old Silkie cross (she constantly goes broody, so I've given her golf balls so as not to upset her so much when I remove her eggs). But, I'm still concerned about what happened last time. Is it likely to succeed?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    First time mothers are very unpredictable. Some do just fine and others do things like yours did. Silkies un like Black sex links are known to be broody and great mothers. I would pop some eggs under her and see what happens.

3. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the feedback! I will try! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by