Was this the "bloom?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bkbuz1987, Nov 2, 2008.

1. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I boiled all my Ameraucana and EE eggs some were green some were blue. I added vinegar to water because some said that helps fresh eggs peel. As I was removing them from their cold water submersion I noticed the green scraping off. So I scrubbed all the eggs and now all I have are hard boiled blue eggs, no more green.

Can anyone explain this to me please? Was this the bloom?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Wow, that's pretty cool. I don't have any answers for you, but I can't wait to hear why this happened!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have heard that if you wash an EE's egg right after it was layed the color can come off. Maybe that's what happens when you boil them.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Bloom is a protective coating on eggs that keeps them fresh longer. Ever seen a just laid egg slightly damp? That colorless dampness is the bloom drying quickly.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How did your eggs peel?

6. bkbuz1987

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I don't know yet, haven't eaten any.

7. bkbuz1987

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:But it was only the greenish color that came off, I have a bowl full of blue eggs. I'll post a pic in a bit of a newly laid greenish egg and the lovely color blue they turned after boiling them.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The brown is laid on the egg after it develops, whereas blue is processed as the shell is made in the body, that is why it came off.

If you check the insides of most green eggs, they are bluer on the inside.

1 person likes this.
  9. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

pips&peeps :

The brown is laid on the egg after it develops, whereas blue is processed as the shell is made in the body, that is why it came off.

If you check the insides of most green eggs, they are bluer on the inside.

Wow, thanks for the great info, pips. I was guessing it was something in the makeup of the brown coloration versus the blue, I was totally off track.​

10. bkbuz1987

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Here are the lovely boiled blue eggs with a freshly laid greenish one on top. I wish the camera showed the real difference.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by