Was this the "egg song"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdNut, Sep 15, 2010.

1. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Hey everyone! I have a funny story that now has me scratching my head, wondering what happened.

It was a nice and peaceful morning; chickens were fed, had water, and all was taken care of. So, I decided to log in to BYC and see what was going on. Whilst lurking around the forums, my hen, 'Opal' started making the most bizarre sound I had ever heard from her. It was a loud and repetitive, "Bock-bock ba-COCK! Bock-bock ba-COCK!". I came racing down the stairs and out the back door; expecting to see a dying chicken or something tragic. She stopped the noise upon seeing me, and just stood there staring at me, probably wondering what the heck I was so upset about.

Strangely, everything was fine. The only thing different that I noticed was that there was a nice big brown egg in her nest. I immediately wondered if it was the "egg song" that some people have mentioned on here, but I have seen her lay eggs much before this, and no egg song during those times.

Even though I've never heard the "egg song" from her before, could this still be what it was?

2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Sounds like the egg song to me...

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, it sure is. The "actual" stanza, repeated endlessly, is:
    bok bok bok bok bok bok bok bok buh-GAWK

It's the same as an alert call, only in a different context.

4. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    That's exactly what our egg song sounds like. If you laid an egg wouldn't you want to tell the world about it??

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

betcha by golly wow, yep! Sounds like it to me, too. [​IMG] My girls will cheer each other on -- if one starts, sometimes others will join in, and occasionally even the roos will help. [​IMG] I love it!

6. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Thanks so much everyone!

I'm just glad there wasn't anything wrong. Phew!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:This is exactly how I felt after I witnessed the first dust bath... [​IMG] Good thing I'd read some posts referring to it before I actually SAW it. For a few seconds I totally freaked!!

8. DesiDoula

DesiDoula New Egg

Apr 9, 2010
    I've watched all my other hens do the "egg song" while there was just one quietly laying eggs. But my children hear it and get all excited. It's an egg alarm.

9. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    In DH's words during the extra-long egg song: "Alright already! You laid an egg! Good for [email protected]#% you!"

10. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:Hehehehehe...I'm there with him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by