Was to Pick Up 8, came home with 22!! ~pics~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Quail_Antwerp, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    So we made it a girls day out and drove up to Meyer Hatchery to pick up my order of 8 Mille Fleur d'Uccles.

Weeeeeeeeelllllllllll.....I left with 9 extra chicks! I got my hands on the only Buff Brahma Bantam they had, my daughter chose 3 Creoles, and I also snatched up 4 Buff Silkies, and the only Black Silkie they had.

I missed out on an extra Mille Fleur and a black Frizzle.

Once we left Meyer we swung by fellow BYC'er Harley Girl's home and picked up 7 more chicks! 2 Sizzles and 5 mixed breed little chicks. They are outside in the grower pen as they are already feathered out and just DARLING!

I don't have pictures of the 7 from Harley's Girl yet, but I will get some tomorrow. For now, here are the babies from Meyer today!

My daughter leaving the hatchery, see how excited and happy she is?
    [​IMG]

Group Pic
    [​IMG]

This is one of the Mille Fleurs
    [​IMG]

My mom and sister drove up with us. Funny thing, for the last two weeks my mom has said everyday, "I am NOT getting any chicks while we are there!" HAHAHA She left Meyer with ELEVEN chicks!!! I told her I wish I could be a fly on the wall at her house when she got home! I am not sure my step dad is/was thrilled! LOLOL

Here's a pic of one of my mom's chicks. He isn't supposed to be here, but she accidently left him and took a buff Silkie. We are trading out tomorrow or Thursday. We thought this was a silkie too, but he/she has pink feet and pink skin. SO any help identifying a feather legged chick???
    [​IMG]

Sure is giving me the evil eye LOL

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Too funny and congrats on your babies!!! Wasn't that a great field trip? I drove there in June to pick mine up and absolutely loved the drive.

Glad you had fun and good luck with your chicks!!!

PS - love the evil eye!!

3. Quail_Antwerp

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Oh the drive was awesome! I had to take my six week old son, so we had to keep stopping so I could nurse him, but other than that, it was great!

I just wish I had taken more pics than I did. I totally want to make it a yearly trip, but not in the fall. I am going to try to go again in the spring....with about $100 in my pocket!! (OMG my husband would kill me if I bought that many chicks!)

The best part was they ran the extra bantams up as their grab bag special, so we only paid $2.05 ea per extra chick!

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I'm so jealous! I wish I lived close enough to a hatchery to drive there (we're talking all day each way from here to pretty much anywhere. *sigh*) Cute, cute. I would totally thing the evil-eye chick was a silky if it weren't for the pink feet and legs. have fun raising your babies!

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That was a great deal! I drove out there about 5pm on a weekday and I thought it was so cool to see the Amish working in their yards. Clothes out on the line, children working in the vegetable gardens in the front yard - yeah, I could live there! It only took me about 35-40 minutes from work and the people there were so nice!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Wished you lived close to a hatchery?? You'd soooo be in trouble!

7. Quail_Antwerp

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Wished you lived close to a hatchery?? You'd soooo be in trouble!

HAHAHA there is literally a house just up the road...walking distance! I told my mom I want that house so I could walk to Meyer whenever I felt the need for chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by