Was told my little bantam was probley not going to make it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilofthestars, Mar 20, 2017.

1. lilofthestars

lilofthestars Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2015
    Hello All Well I did take her to the vet and she said her abdomen was swollen. She said the small bantams lay so many eggs, that sometimes they go to the wrong place. And she probley will not make it could be 1 week to 2 months. She gave me loxicom 10 ml for pain and inflammation, have to give 1.4 cc a day. Also gave a antibiotic tylosin tartrate have to mix in the water. Has any body had this experience with bantams? She should be around 2 I was told. She is the only one I did not raise as a chick. She is trying to act normal, with the other chickens. She is sleeping in the nesting box. Any advise would be appreciated. I have been giving vitamins also. I do not give up so easy. Thank you for taking your tine to read

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you're having trouble [​IMG]

I haven't read your other threads, but from the description you are giving and what the vet told you, it sounds like your little hen may have Egg Yolk Peritonitis. This is where egg/egg matter can travel up the oviduct and drop into the abdominal cavity, causing infection. The egg/egg matter can form a mass - this can cause weight loss, difficulty walking/lameness, difficulty breathing and bloated/hard abdomen.

Antibiotics may help fight some of the infection and give her some relief for a short period of time. It's good that you were able to get something for pain as well. The usual course of treatment is supportive care - adding poultry vitamins to her water, making sure she is eating, provide some extra protein like egg or tuna and lots of love.

Please keep us posted on her progress.

Peritonitis and internal egg laying issues:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx
    http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

3. lilofthestars

Oct 9, 2015
    Thank you so much for your reply. There is something else I noticed she shaking her little head and her cone in the back towards her body is getting dark is that part of the illness?

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    A comb that is getting dark or turning purple/bluish can be an indication of lack of oxygen.

With Peritonitis, difficulty breathing is one of the symptoms, so I would think that would be the cause.

The shaking of the head - I really don't know - she may be a bit distressed. Just do the best you can.

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I have a hen which is laying internally too. She has had problems for almost a year now, although moulting and subsequent break in production has meant that she has been better through the winter but it is obvious that she has recently started ovulating again and she mostly stays in a nest box overnight now, as much as anything because the sheer weigh of all that abdominal mass must be putting a tremendous strain on her legs and feet at night. She is hugely heavy when you lick her up, compared to her sisters. She is still eating and happy to be with the flock but I am conscious that it is only a matter of time. There is no indication that my girl has developed an infection yet but sooner or later it will block her intestines or perhaps cause heart failure. I probably should cull her now whilst she is still fit but I can't bring myself to do it just yet whilst she still has quality of life.
    If you are prepared to throw some money at the problem, you could discuss with your vet, the possibility of an hormonal implant to prevent her ovulating and therefore halting it from getting any worse.... like my girl didn't get any worse during the winter when she stopped producing..... and actually she probably even improved a bit....I didn't notice her walking around with that penguin stance like she had been in the summer, until just a couple of weeks ago and she was happily roosting on the top perch all winter.

Anyway, good luck with your girl.

Regards

Barbara

6. lilofthestars

Oct 9, 2015
    Thank you, and good luck with your girl also.

7. lilofthestars

Oct 9, 2015
    I read a post online that the same thing happened to this one hen and she mixed up oregano and cinnamon in the water which will not hurt the chickens at all and I'm going to do that I bought me up some. Very good natural antibiotic.

8. lilofthestars

Oct 9, 2015
    Well everyone just an update my little Bantam is doing great now she scratching the ground she's just like normal so everything that I've done and the help from you guys she's surviving thank God

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing well[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by