1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Was told this was a brown leghorn, any guess on gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stone_family3, Mar 4, 2013.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Need better lighted pics. But from what i can tell thats not a leghorn, looks more like a production red maybe?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking it looks red. Leaning toward male but who knows this early.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I did get 27 others that were production reds and this one is way darker. The person I bought them from said they were hatched (darker one) and bought (production reds) for a science fair project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The lighter ones look like Red sex-link roosters and the darker one is a Production Red.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh I hope not, they would all be going to the processor then. Also the poor kid that did the science fair project will have bad data.

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like Red Sex Link pullets to me, roosters usually have much more white. The first girl in your photo looks like a Production Red pullet (aka a red bird that can be feather sexed at birth, so some would refer to these also as sex links). Keep an eye on the red sex links and make sure their combs stay nice and tiny.

8. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    There are some that have a bit of red in their comb, which is fine I will need to fill some processing orders. Also they are a bit more aggressive. I'll see if I can't get some better pictures today.

9. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Here is the brown one, hopefully these pictures help out more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this one is a production red roo seems like I have about 15 of these.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I think this one is a female production red, I have a lot less of these

[​IMG]

10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I am not sure on the gender but would agree that it does not look like a brown leghorn. Maybe a mix? The coloring of the feathers and legs seem off. In case it helps, this a hatchery quality brown leghorn hen at 3 and 6 months. Good luck! I hope they are girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by