Was Wondering

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dasmiths0323, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dasmiths0323

dasmiths0323 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I was hoping that I had a rooster in the bunch but come to find out I do not. So I have been watching Craigslist for a rooster and was wondering if it is ok to mix a 6 month old with my almost 3 month olds and I have 3 6 week old youngins that just got moved to the Coop.... Also does he need his own Coop or is it ok to have him with the girls?
    Thanks Jennifer

2. dasmiths0323

Jul 13, 2011
    Boo no one wants to help me learn more about my chickens... [​IMG] I wasnt joking I am learning about this and have NO idea.

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    This is a very very big forum. It takes me hours to just look through the whole forum, just clicking on titles that appeal to things that may help me. By the time I start at the top threads on the forum and get to the bottom and then start at the top again there are easily 10 or more new threads in each section. It takes a meer few hours for a thread to get on page 2 or 3 in certain sections.

It's not that people don't want to help you learn. The right person to answer you may not be online. Waiting two hours between your initial post and you next post asking why no one is helping isn't nearly enough time. If you like, you can go to search and type in what you're looking for and it will bring up tons of threads that the site thinks are similar to what you are looking for. Or you can just read through the rest of the posts in this thread. There are tons and tons of threads about flock integration. I've learned most of my knowledge in just a few weeks just by reading posts other people started.

That being said: You should quarantine the roo for a while to make sure he's not carrying a disease that could effect the rest of your flock. Then it's just a matter of putting the birds together and watching how it goes. I think it's usually easier for a roo to come into a flock of hens than to try and integrate hens with hens or roos with roos. The hens naturally want to look up to a roo.

4. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Where you at? I have so many pretty roosters I don't know what to do with them all....there 7 weeks and 16 weeks..Barred rocks, Delawares, Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpingtons, EE's, Wyandottes and white rocks....argggggggggg darn hatchery 43 chicks 34 roosters
    if your close to Wis. maybe you can have one of these.
    I would first Quarantine any new bird for at least 30 days, then slowly introduce them with a fence between them for a week or two, then add the new one in and watch if there's no trouble right off your good if they fight a little it's normal, adjusting the pecking order to fit the newbi in...... as long as theres no blood or serious aggression they should work it on there own. If theres serious problems?? I have no idea what to do then. How much room do they have and how many hens do you have? how big is the coop? as long as they enough room to get away from each other for abit they are usually ok.
    Kim

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. dasmiths0323

Jul 13, 2011
    KDaily Thanks I was more less being silly about it and have noticed if there is one reply I can get more answers. Its trying to get the first answer most of the time what takes a while. But being said, I appreciate your response.

we are not equiped with a spare coop to quarantine him so what do you suggest we use so I dont make my poor husband build something again. [​IMG]

GhostRider65: Unfortunately I am NO WHERE close to you [​IMG] we live in Washington state. I as well appreciate your input, but was curious its ok for them to stay in the same roost over night right? I dont know why but for some reason I was thinking they need their own space so the girls can also get a break. I have 9 pullets none are full grown, they live in an 8/10 coop and have a 20/10 run when old enough I may make them free range just nervous bc we have 2 wide open acres and lots of predators!

6. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    You can use a dog crate meant for a medium to large sized dog and it'll be alright. That's what a lot of people use for injured chickens that are recouperating.

7. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Honestly I wouldn't get one yet. Wait till your pullets are laying to get a roo for them. Roos often try to mate before the girls are ready and this roo your looking at is a lot older than your pullets. He might be fine, or he might be rough with them and hurt them, you just don't know till you try. I wouldn't risk it, there are always heaps of pretty roos looking for a home.

8. dasmiths0323

Jul 13, 2011
    Never thought of it that way, maybe I will wait and see how our Girls lay through the winter and look into adding a roo next year....

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:good idea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by