1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wash clean eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by notsooldmcdonald, Oct 26, 2008.

1. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    I'm a little confused about the best way to deal with the clean eggs I collect. It seems that some promote leaving the "bloom" on the egg and not washing it, while others recommend washing it and putting it into the refrigerator.

I plan to give eggs to friends and family. If the eggs are clean when I collect them, should I wash them before I give them away?

-Christian

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    It is not necessary to wash the eggs if they look clean. Sometimes you may have to spot clean them. Let them wash them, thats what I do.

3. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    :eek: I just witnessed a can of worms being opened I think...

We wash ours right before we crack them open, leaving the bloom intact until no longer needed.

When I give eggs away I just tell them to wash them before use. Though I do try to give away the cleanest ones.

I read somewhere that if you wash them and do not re-treat/seal them(like the factories do) then the eggs will absorb the odor's and flavors of your refrigerator.

Check out this link for a study done by Mother Earth News on the differences in storage.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I spot clean also...... All clean eggs go right into the refrigerator, If they are REAL dirty the dog gets em !!!

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't wash them until I eat them and only if they need to be.
    If you are going to give them away then you can wipe off the smudges before hand.
    Some people actually recommend using sandpaper for the dirty ones but I have not investigated that further.
    Others say to wash your hands, dry them on a papertowel and then use that towel to wipe the eggs, they claim that is as wet as you should use.
    The stores do wash them but it takes the bloom off of them, they then reseal them with something.
    THe person that posted about washing the eggs and storing them is correct, without the bloom or seal odors will get in there and it also will cause the egg to lose its freshness through moisture loss.
    My feeling is this, if people want farm fresh eggs then they should expect to have to wipe them off. It in no way affects the egg, the dirt does not get inside and the eggs are far better than the factory washed and sealed that they buy at the store.
    Its better to try to prevent the eggs from getting too dirty in the first place, although it may not work 100 percent.
    Keeping the nest boxes clean will help alot, keep adding fresh shavings to them, as will collecting the eggs as soon as possible after they lay.
    I guess its going to boil down to your personal choice.

6. velo99

velo99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    Amarillo
    My hen hid under my pigeon loft and laid 5 eggs over the last few days. I found them today. Are they safe to eat?

kh

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Rarely do I have any dirty eggs. If I have any dirt on them first I use a paper towell and get off what I can. I do not wash my eggs until I use them. I leave them out on my egg counter for up to two weeks (if they last that long) before I refrigerate them. Any I sell, I do wash with a 1 tbsp bleach to 1 gal warm water then rinse and dry and right into the refrigerator.

8. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I wouldn't risk it. I don't know what your weather has been like but unless its been very cold, like at least what your frig would keep the eggs at, I wouldn't do it.
    Thats just me though.

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Blow them out and make ornaments since Christmas is coming [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by