Wash eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicklette 1, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    My nesting boxes are clean and when my 2 hens lay their eggs, the eggs are clean. Do I need to wash the eggs or can I just refrigerate them? I have been eating them but I have not washed them. Any answers?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm afraid I don't have the article with me to back me up, but it seems to be best to keep clean eggs un-washed. There is a natural "bloom" on the surface of the egg that helps keep foreign bacteria from invading the egg, and is washed off with water. If your eggs are clean, it is probably better to keep them the way they are.

I found a website that explains this better than I can: http://notesfromchickenland.blogspot.com/2008/05/washing-eggs-or-not-primer.html

Ultimately
    , the choice is yours [​IMG]

3. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thank you. I'll go and read the article

4. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I'm gonna add to this thread and ask, how exactly do you wash them? Do you just rinse or use soap? Scrub or rub? LOL, sorry, got carried away. [​IMG]

Oh, and good article, thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I haven't been washing or refrigerating my eggs and they've been just fine. On the occasion that there is a little smudge on the egg I wipe it off with a damp paper towel just before I crack it open. I only have 4 birds so I can easily eat the eggs or give them away before they get very old.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  6. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    I usually dont wash my eggs if there is no poo on them. If you wash them you are removing the natural bloom the hen coats the egg with to protect them from other bacteria. When they do have poo on them it's a quick rinse with just water and into the fridge they go.

7. craftymama86

So you don't have to wash before cooking? I know you shouldn't wash/rinse before putting them in the fridge but would it really do anything to the egg to clean it right before cooking it?

8. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] The age old debate.

I wash them quickly under running water. They are clean anyways. My egg customers want them washed. And the eggs all get eaten fast anyways, so no worries about keeping the bloom on to preserve them.

9. craftymama86

So I guess it's just each to his own, huh? Lol.

10. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I am currently living in Germany, here the trend is to not wash or refrigerate most eggs. I purchase my free range eggs from the grocery store shelf right next to the bread, or if I am at the village market from the egg man that has them stacked up on a table. Oh yeah we also have an egg lady (our name) that drives around the villages once a week and sells eggs from her delivery truck. All of these options come unwashed and unrefrigerated with the occasional bit of smudge, and you get a surprise feather in a carton once in a while.

BL: as long as your eggs are clean, don't wash. If necessary give them a quick wash/wipe down just prior to using them. I do refrigerate them once I get them home, but that is just the American in me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by