Wash or not, refrigerate or not - interesting article

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    because we are a society of germaphobes. wash your hands, dont touch that. i belive thats part of why we do get sick. we are not exposed to enough germs as babies to build up any type of resistance. i am guilty

3. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    West of Colorado Springs.

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Granny Hatchet, you might enjoy this article on the topic of why exposure to dirt and germs and even nose picking might lead to a healthier immune system, acting like a vacine.

6. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful area. Did you guys survive the flooding alright? My favorite town in the Rockies is Georgetown followed closely by Estes Park.

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]you can see me? lol

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    this article was informative and entertaining . i did not know there was a vaccine for salmonella , certainly my mutts have not had it.(scary) . and the comments were hilarious! thank you[​IMG]

9. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    I do clean off poo/mud, but don't wash them. The ones I do sell are refrigerated and wiped with a damp towel....my egg people appreciate that. Also, I use to eat dirt as a kid (mom ate dirt when she was pregnant with me...hmmm) and while I do try and remember to wash up after chicken chores, not always successful. Geez...I even snuggle and kiss upon a few of my favorites. Yeah, that is sanitary. Oh well, I am happy and healthy.

10. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    We were evacuated due to the Waldo Canyon Fire in 2011 and were impacted by the flooding, mostly closed roads, schools and some businesses, but survived both without much in the way of property damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by