washed eggs for hatching ok still?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1FastFlamingo, Jan 28, 2011.

1. 1FastFlamingo

1FastFlamingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Brevard County, Florida
    I had just washed 3 doz eggs with a washcloth wiped over the eggs with a very mild dish soap. Now that I did that, a guy just called for at least 2 doz eggs to hatch out. Will these eggs still be ok? They are not refridgerated, just sitting on the counter and drying off. Thanks everyone! BTW, I think my black sex link "Flame" is going broody... lol!

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think you should ask the buyer if he's okay with washed eggs, as it's something that most chicken hatching people seem to feel quite strongly about one way or the other. Have a look for a recent post on here about the pros and cons of washing eggs which ran to about 14 pages to see some of the comments. As for whether washed eggs are okay for setting, I just hatched out four chicks today from washed eggs. They all burst out quickly with no help and are looking very strong and healthy.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yep they still hatch but I would make sure he knows they were washed. It matters to some people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by