Washed Eggs left unrefrigerated

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Schafer83, May 20, 2016.

1. Schafer83

Schafer83 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    My husband washed our eggs, then left them in the counter. I put them in the frig 3 days later, are they safe to eat? I know washed eggs should be refrigerated due to bacteria growth.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Tell that man to leave those egg unwashed in the future!!! [​IMG] If mud or a bit of poo are on them, just a damp paper towel to get the debris off. But yes, they should be fine. I wouldn't give a second thought about eating them myself...but if you're paranoid, then scramble them and feed them back to the birds.

1 person likes this.
  3. MyChickenCookie

MyChickenCookie Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    PLEASE DON"T FEED YOUR CHICKENS EGGS!!!! This will only teach them that it is okay to eat their own eggs! (And it is cannibalism!)

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Feeding chickens eggs will not cause them to become egg eaters. In fact, it may actually help prevent egg eating. Egg eating is most often caused by a lack of protein. And chickens have no qualms about cannibalizing one another. That's human morality. Animals have no concept of right or wrong.

1 person likes this.
  5. MyChickenCookie

MyChickenCookie Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Oh. I guess all of those books and articles were wrong... You just can't trust anything authors write anymore.

Well, you learn something new every day! Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  6. ericstac

ericstac Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Its funny you say that. One time I tossed a chicken carcass (cooked) out the window for the dog and he was quickly taken over by 20+ chickens and they completely cleaned them bones off lol.

7. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    With my first batch of chickens about 6 years ago, the first treat I ever gave them was chopped leftover Kentucky Fried Chicken. They loved it!! My girls regularly get chicken & turkey carcasses , and like ericstac said, will pick them clean. I feed cracked eggs (cooked) back to my girls all the time. My hubby & I are always arguing if the leftovers go to the dogs or the chickens!!

8. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast

Those books and articles are written by the same authors that say you have to use a brooder lamp for chicks. They really don't know what they're talking about.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They also think that commercial/factory farm space requirements are fine, too...

10. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA

You mean you don't need a brooder/heat lamp for chicks? before I got my first chicks, I read several books & websites by "experts." They all said heat was vital. Tell me if they're wrong or not?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by