washed farmer's market eggs will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zoomom, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Just wondering if I should bother to put them under my broody girl or use some older unwashed eggs (2 weeks old) or wait for fresher unwashed eggs....maybe next week.
    Please help. I would really like to try to let her hatch something.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    2 weeks is a pretty long time. The next batch would be better.

Do you know if they are fertile though? Not all sellers keep roosters in their laying pens.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not sure about these market eggs being fertile or not. I was thinking of cracking one to eat and see if I could see a bullseye spot. I just don't know when I'll be able to get more of the guaranteed fertile eggs from my friend.
    Thank you for your help.

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I would try putting some under her. If they're white you should be able to candle and see something in six days. A lot of people wash their eggs and don't see any difference in the hatch rate.

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Hey Zoomom,

I have just bought Food Lion Eggs today and I am waiting so they can come up to room temp before putting them into my incubator tomorrow.

Good luck to you and me I guess [​IMG]

6. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,
    Well, I cracked one open and saw the bullseye thing (I think) so I put 5 under her and she accepted the switch from her glass eggs ok, so hopefully in 21 days i have something exciting to report.
    The eggs are dark brown, so do you think I should be able to see anything in a week?
    Thanks everyone. [​IMG]
    Good luck gmendoza...hope yours hatch.

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Are they dark brown like this: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/MaransEggs.JPEG

Because
    then those are probably going to be real tough to see anything through. The only way I knew anything was growing in my eggs was because I candled them before I put them in and then looked for any difference or darkness in them..... even then I was wrong!

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    darn but those eggs are DARK! I have Marans and they don't lay eggs even HALF as dark as that!
    How on earth could you candle those babies and expect to see anything? Must be near impossible!

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:LOL I dunno, those were just the first stock photo on google images I found to ask XD Mine looked like..... this!
    [​IMG]
    They were still quite hard to see anything through, but my flashlight is amazing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by