Washed or Unwashed Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 3bird, Apr 3, 2018.

1. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    Hi, All.

I've found a lot of information on washing versus not washing duck eggs. I wanted to share what we have decided to do.

20180330_215428.jpg

We do not wash the eggs we eat. Instead we just flick off any straw or shavings and then store them at room temperature in egg cartons until we're ready to eat them. In terms of the ones we offer to other people, we offer both "Bloom" and "Washed," and we then provide additional information through our website. We've found that most people are down with the "Bloom" eggs, but a few prefer them washed.

How do you handle this situation if you share your eggs with others?

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    You can do both, wash and refrigerate the ones you share with people that preferred wash and do the the opposite with the ones who preferred unwashed.

Few years ago my ignorance as a city dweller before our backyard chickens life made me missed out on good stuff. Some friends that has farms keep on giving us eggs from chicken and ducks unwashed, I normally decline and said we’re good but sometimes will accept them and put it in the frig for months until we throw them away since we couldn’t stand eating eggs that are unwashed or that are not from supermarket.

CayugaJana and 3bird like this.
  3. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    That's what we do, but we decided to give people the choice on the carton and then provide additional information on the website. We've found that it sparks a conversation, which is cool.

nerfworthy, CarleeAnn and Spartan22 like this.
  4. pjsfarm

pjsfarm Chirping

Mar 21, 2018
    Minnesota
    How long do you say they are good for, for the washed and unwashed? Currently my only customers are family, so they don't ask much questions for free eggs, haha. However, I've had a few distant relatives asking for eggs as well and want to know the "expiration date". At our house we will eat eggs as old as 5 weeks as long as

5. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    You might run into trouble with your state. My state says the eggs have to be washed and refrigerated.

6. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    We are NOT experts! :) Having said that, conventional wisdom pegs unwashed/unrefrigerated duck eggs at months. We only share eggs that are less than a couple weeks old with our visitors, but we'll eat older eggs ourselves. We only provide a "laid on" date and not an expiration date. In part, this is because we had a hard time finding reliable information we felt comfortable passing on. I'd love to know if folks have a good source for expiration date projections.

pjsfarm likes this.
  7. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    That is correct, and I should have mentioned that. We only sell washed eggs stored at 45 degrees F or less. In terms of washing, we are required only to: "Clean the eggs of any fecal matter as needed."

nerfworthy, pjsfarm and Redhead Rae like this.
  8. pamelajean

pamelajean Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    British Columbia
    I'm seeing washed = refrigerated and unwashed = room temperature storage.

Curious - is it ok to refrigerate unwashed eggs for storage purposes?

3bird likes this.
  9. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Unless they are pristine, I wouldn't refrigeration opens the egg pores and if there is dirt or poop on the eggs, bacteria can get inside.

Spartan22 and 3bird like this.
  10. pamelajean

pamelajean Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    British Columbia
    Duly noted. Thank you. This is what I have been doing and I guess it is time to change! Luckily most of my eggs are very clean. Hmm, to wash or not to wash.

3bird likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: