Washing a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zeldaslullaby, Mar 9, 2014.

1. zeldaslullaby

zeldaslullaby New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    I made a post about how 2 of my little chicks could possibly have pasty butt the other day. since then ive been cleaning their butts whenever they have it all over and stuff. My mom called and I told her that I fill a tiny dish with warm water and wash them till the poop comes off but she said that washing a baby chick will kill it!! When I'm done I wrap the chick in a washcloth and hold him close and make him warm till he dries completely. Then I put him back with his other little chicky friends.

Am I doing it right? Or am I going to kill my chicks???

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No, you're not going to kill them by washing them, but it's best to not get them any wetter than you need to. Some folks have good luck, just holding their butt under a trickle of warm water from the faucet. You'll have to carefully regulate the temp. also, a bit of Vaseline around the vent will help to keep the problem from re-occurring. Grit in the diet may also help.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    One should avoid getting chicks wet. But it won't automatically die unless the water is cold or the chicks body temp drops. I've had chicks go cold & comatose from getting caught in warm rain on a hot summer day. If I react soon enough I can recharge them with a blow dryer. Just wash his butt and don't get his whole body soaked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by