1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washing a white chicken for show? What am I doing wrong???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm getting ready for my first-ever show and one of the birds I'm bringing is a white houdan bantam...she's not very clean, either. LOL Any tips on washing her? How about whitening her slightly stained feathers? Help!

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. CrestedHorizonPoultry

CrestedHorizonPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Missouri
    Cowboy Magic green out. LOVE IT!! I have white Polish and Silkies I show. I spray them down with it real good with it, let them sit for about 5 minutes then rince. If there are really bad stains I do it all over again. Good luck!!

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Thank you guys! I wonder if my feed store has the Cowboy Magic stuff? Thank you again!

4. CrestedHorizonPoultry

CrestedHorizonPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Missouri
    If your feed store doesn't have it, you can get it online.

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    How do you wash a Silkies face? I am afraid of getting water in their ears or nostrils. Or burning their eyes.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've heard laundry bluing works well too. People use it on poodles for showing. Haven't tried it on chickens though.

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I haven't had any luck with the cowboy magic stuff. It just seems to spread stains on my birds. Maybe I just have unusually funky birds. [​IMG] I use tide with bleach alternative to wash them. I wet the bird, then use a very soft toothbrush to gently work the Tide into the feathers, going with the direction of the feather (& using the brush to gently work out any set-in funk in individual feathers). I let it sit on them for a few minutes, then rinse & repeat, if necessary. Works better than anything else I've tried. I've not tried bluing, however, but I have heard that that works really well, too. You just have to be careful not to use to much, or else you end up with a blue bird! [​IMG]

To wash crests on my Polish, I wrap the body of the bird in a towel so I can then use one hand to hold the bird's body, freeing up my other hand to do the washing (usually over a bucket in my kitchen sink so that I have running water to rinse with. [​IMG] shhhh, don't tell my husband!). I then hold the bird on its back, so its head is upside down, to wet & rinse. This way I don't get soap and/or water in the bird's eyes or nostrils.

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Just make sure you don't use too much or you risk turning the bird a shade of blue/purple. I used to use it when we showed dogs. They also have a purple liquid just for animals but I can't think of the name of it right now. It works great. I'll try to think of the name and update.

9. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Tide with bleach alternative. Just put a quarter of a cup in a gallon of warm water. Let the bird sit in water for a minute and stroke the detergent in the same direction as the feathers. Let the detergent sit for five minutes. I use this time clean the feet good with a toothbrush, trim any nails or the beak, etc... This sitting time is really important. You have to let the detergent do its job.

Rinse the bird twice. First, rinse in a bucket of warm water with a splash of wite vinegar added to it. It gets all the detergent off the bird and makes them super clean.

Then a final rinse in just pure water. Towel off and dry well with the blow dryer.

This really works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by