1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waddles99, Apr 22, 2016.

1. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I want to wash my chickens but don't want to use soap that will harm them. This is what the label says is in this soap:

Ingredients:
    Aqua (Deionized water) infustion of Organic Calendula Officianalis Extract, Organic Chamomila Recutita Flower extract, Organic Passiflora Incarnata Flower extract (Passionflower), ammonium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, lauramide dea, Lauryl Glucoside, Aloe Barbadensis, Sodium chloride, Tetrasodium edta, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl urea, methyl & propylparaben, Citric acid.

Anything that could harm them?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Just use some dawn and then rub a touch of coconut oil back on the feathers to replenish the oil that was just washed off.

3. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    I have used dawn because it says that it washes oil off of ducks or whatever idk it has always worked for me

4. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    yes

5. Ember13

Ember13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    Don't use Dawn--it strips the oil which is not what you want to do. I think the mild soap you mention is fine but use a very small amount. You really don't need soap usually. Warm water is fine. Don't get any water in their ears. Good luck.

6. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    that is why I said to add back the coconut oil, dawn is safe to use on animals so that is why it is used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by