1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washing chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Windwhistlefarm, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Windwhistlefarm

Windwhistlefarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Modoc Indiana
    How and with what could I give my roo a bath?

2. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    My ladies like running around in light rain. [​IMG]

3. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Is your roo passive? If not, be careful! lol

I gave my roo a bath when I first got him, with Dawn dishliquid.
    It's safe, but best to use the plain blue. Not concentrate, and definitely PLAIN formula!
    My rooster was calm, didn't mind at all.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

With what :
    Dawn plain blue dish detergent for a one time or once in a blue moon washing
    Puppy or dog shampoo - this is what I've used most often.
    If white rooster - use dog whitening shampoo
    Some just use baby shampoo.

How:
    Easy going rooster - wash basin or tub - wear old clothes or a bathing suit as your going to get wet with a good or bad roo
    Bad roo - One hand with a thick glove - if you think he may spur, try using a leather shoestring to tie his legs loosely together like shackles. (had to do this once - leghorn roo with 1.5" spurs that was not my friend, and had got into some sap syrup from a wheeping maple tree and it needed off before his girls ate him alive - lol ) - Hold roo under body by legs with one hand and other hand use hose or shower sprayer (gloved hand) to wet 'em down, then put down hose/sprayer and lather in shampoo well across feathers, be careful of the potentially ferocious biting beak - and then hold him good and rinse him off.

Why are we washing the rooster anyhow? (curiosity sake [​IMG] ) show, or has he gotten filthy and you want to clean him up to make him pretties again ?

5. Windwhistlefarm

Apr 14, 2009
    Modoc Indiana
    Thank you one and all! Dirty Roo will regain his pretty boy image. ScaredOfShadows-I especially appreciated the details. He was really much more passive than I anticipated. Knowlege is a powerful tool.
    P.S. He rolled around in yellow latex paint-Dawn is magic, good on oil spill birds and painted
    poultry. Small area on rear guess will just have to wear off. Wish I'd had before pic and knew how to attach.
    Again "Two" and I thank you.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

glad to have helped! Also glad he was good guy and didn't try to filet you [​IMG]

I would have loved to seen pictures of him with paint and then the "miracle of dawn" after photos [​IMG] too bad - if he does it again - be sure to take photos!

How to attach a pic :

must be .jpg or a couple others (can't remember) Go to "Uploads" at the top on the blue bar - and then browse for your picture. Hit Upload. [​IMG] that easy to get on BYC. then go back to uploads - go in the bottom corner of that box and hit "My uploads" and it'll show up all your pictures in an album - copy "image" Code (bottom code) and paste into your reply box of a thread. [​IMG] easy peasy once you get used to it. Can also just copy off photobucket as well!

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
  8. Windwhistlefarm

Apr 14, 2009
    Modoc Indiana
    Again I thank each of you for a hasty and VERY helpful response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by