Washing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mandalina, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Ok, my ds has easter celebration day at school on thursday morning and the teacher asked me to bring in a few of my chicks. they are 6 weeks old today and they are pretty grubby from kicking poo at each other lol.
    so, it is offical bath time. do i use soap? do i need anything special? will my chickens hate me forever?
    omg,i am excited and nervous all at one time lol.

i need a pep talk and some know how on this lol.

TIA!

2. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I wash my chicks feet with warm water and a towel. I just try to be gentle.
    I don't like to pick them up if they have poop on their feet. Ryan

1 person likes this.
  3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    ok,that is the funnies tthing ever. 3 of my chicks are going to enjoying some bubbles and blow dryers tomorrow lol!
    omg, now i am deff more excited than nervous lol!!!

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I had to bathe a couple of my MIL's cochins after they jumped into the oatmeal bowl to eat [​IMG] I couldn't stand seeing them walk around all sticky footed.

I used warm water and baby wash, blow dried on low afterwards and I am pretty sure they liked it [​IMG]

6. Tyaloria

Tyaloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Worcester UK
    tried to give 2 of mine a wash this morning as my silkie had a dirty bottom and my random mix girl had filthy feet.
    [​IMG]
    What an interesting morning.

I filled a little tub with puppy shampoo (like the guidelines say) pick up chicky one and put her feet in. Quite happy and then SPLAT! she tried to fly out - I was holding her - and proceeded to explore the kitchen. oh dear.
    the second little one didn't even try standing up in the water she just fell on her face got completely soaked and squawked about for 20 ish minutes.

Will attempt again next week.....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by