washing chicks

muddyhorse

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Bloomsdale, MO
I had a chick born that had a lot of egg goo (technical term) on it. now that the chick is dry it is crusty. what is the best way to clean it off the chick. I don't want to put it in with the others yet because I'm afraid they will peck it because of the yolkyness. any ideas ?

One of my 'packing peanuts' had that goo on him so bad that his little wing was stuck to his body. Someone on this site said to use a warm wet rag to soften it up and wipe it off. They also said that I didn't have to do anything; that it would eventually wear off. I tried the rag but I could tell that it was going to take forever so I decided that the little thing was going to be wet anyway; might as well just wash him with warm water. I kind of worked the stuck wing loose a little at a time then kept him warm to dry a little, then put him under the light in the brooder. He actually seemed to like the whole process! Sorry that I don't remember who gave me the good advice; it was someone with lots of experience-I could tell.

Yeah...most don't mind a nice warm water bath (with you gently holding). But be sure to blot well with a towel and then use a heat lamp or blow drier to be certain he/she is dry and doesn't get chilled...

I set them in a shallow wide cup like a coffee cup or small bowl. Put warm water in about half way. Use a soft toothbrush, wetting the baby and then gently brush the dried stuff off. If you have one of those eyebrow eyelash combs they work pretty good to get stubborn stuff off as well. Just make sure thier heads do not go underwater and dry them off good and keep them warm. In the winter I sat on the floor in front of a small space heater while I did it and then after I was done held the baby chick in front of the heater on my lap while they dried.

I had two like that this hatch, and I just simply washed them with warm water and a little baby shampoo, worked like magic, then blow dried them till nice and fluffy. They didn't seem to mind it at all.

Here's a before
DSC_0020-2.jpg

and after.
DSC_0022-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom