Washing Chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TownhouseSeramas, Nov 28, 2011.

1. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I have six week old silkie chicks that are very dirty and was wondering if they are okay to wash? I didn't want to wash them and have them die from a chill, so I wanted to ask first. If they aren't okay, what about my 8wk old?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They're old enough but afterward I'd put them on warm towels in a warm space and use a blow dryer to thoroughly dry them.

3. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:Okay thank you. That's what I did for my adults, I just wasn't sure if they were old enough yet. They are all getting baths tonight, the stinky little things. [​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I had 3 day old chicks get soaked in ice cold water in a rainstorm. I used a blow dryer and all survived. They are a sturdy breed though.

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    You can put warm water in a large coffee mug so that the chick fits neatly inside. That might be an easy way to keep them warm and draft free during the bathing process rather than washing them in a tub outdoors.

6. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:I was going to do it in my bathroom sink and keep the brooder lamp in there so I can wrap them up in a towl and stick them under while I wash the others. But I like that idea.

7. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Took me two hours but they have all (14 chicks) been succesfully bathed and dried and are puffy and clean and sweet smelling. Took pictures and will post them on my site tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by