washing egg that i want to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cray4en, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cray4en

cray4en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    so, I want to set my incubator again. we had a the power go out during my last hatch and it killed all my eggs but 2 hatched (53 set). the small problem is that it has been so wet here that some of my chickens are bringing in mud and a few of the eggs aren't so clean. I am going to try hatching them anyway. I want to mark them (the ones I wash) to see how well they do.

what do you recommend I mark them with?

tia

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Many members here recommend using a sharpie, but I've used ordinary grey lead pencils and other non-toxic markers as well. If your eggs simply have a bit of mud on them, try and wipe the mud off with a dry cloth, instead of washing them?

1 person likes this.
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    x2 I use a pencil. All I can think is how much those markers bleed into paper, and I'm just not comfortable using them on my developing eggs.

1 person likes this.
  4. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I used a sharpie. I had worried it would bleed through the shell but I checked the inside of the shell on my last hatch and you could not see any marker on the inside. Pencil washes off and the humidity in the incubator may fade the pencil.

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've never had my pencil marks come off during incubation.

1 person likes this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I've had my pencil fade. There was quite the discussion about sharpie vs pencil a year or so ago, with some pretty strong opinions on either side of the fence. After a number of people brought up the issue of strong scent of sharpies, one poster put up pics of a recent hatch, excellent percentage, with each egg marked liberally with sharpie. I wonder if it was Sally Sunshine? Goes to show, there are many ways to make chicken soup. I think I'll continue with pencil. I'm on the fence about sanitizing eggs. My yard is also a mud bath. I spread some hay, both inside and out, which has helped some, but has not completely solved the problem.

2 people like this.
  7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    For once, I don't have a strong opinion, I'm just more comfortable using a pencil...lol

1 person likes this.
  8. kayakfish

kayakfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Cumberland, VA
    I have used Oxine and water to wash really nasty eggs the oxine is actually used in some incubators during hatching to keep out bacterial invasions. 1teaspoon of Oxine to 2 gallons of water.
    I also use crayons for marking eggs, they are non toxic and in colors for different markings.

1 person likes this.
  9. cray4en

cray4en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    well call me crazy but I decided to wash them all to see what happens. I don't need any chicks but had the eggs. I sat 24 eggs this morning at 4 a.m. so 21 days and I am hoping for chicks.

thanks

1 person likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG] You made my cheeks hurt over that one! I'm in the same boat. Have always used pencil. Why? Just because! But, this time, I have a lot more to keep track of. So, I bought some multi-colored sharpies! I'll be marking air cells with pencil, but will mark breed and most importantly gender predictions with my colored sharpies!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Cray4en: well call me crazy but I decided to wash them all to see what happens. I don't need any chicks but had the eggs. I sat 24 eggs this morning at 4 a.m. so 21 days and I am hoping for chicks.

I'll be following with my own set on Friday, if the incubator holds steady temp. Will be bleaching it and hopefully kicking it into gear tonight or tomorrow morning. I've decided to do some gentle spot cleaning with a mild bleach solution. I'll also mark those eggs so I can do a comparison between hatch rate of "cleaned" vs natural.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by