Washing Eggs for Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Jan 31, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have been gathering my own eggs. I cracked one open today & it is fertilized! [​IMG] Question is, with some of the new layers, there is blood & a little bit of poo stuck on them.

Should I use the Brinsea wash to get the gunk off before placing them into the bator or just use water? Before when I had dirty eggs I just washed them off & they all hatched.

Any ideas? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I believe the recommendation is not to wash them. If they are dirty dry wipe what you can and then leave them alone. If really bad, don't use to incubate.

It's also not recommended to incubate the small pullet eggs. You should wait until they get bigger.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I think it's bad for the eggs if you wash them. They have a fine lining thing that protects whatever's inside, because egg shells have tiny holes and all sorts of bad stuff can get through.

You can gently wipe off the dirt with a dry cloth but i wouldn't go further than that.

Good luck with you eggs!

4. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    The eggs aren't small. They are as big as my OEGB eggs. They have been laying for a while. At 1st they were quite small.

How come you couldn't use the small pullet eggs?

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I have tried it both ways and I find there is no difference in the hatch rate.

So I wash them. Why have anymore bacteria in an incubator than you have to if it doesn't make any difference?

God Bless,

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't wash mine. If they're too dirty the cats get a treat.

I've hatched a lot of pullet eggs and really never had a problem with them. I've found the chicks are a little smaller when they hatch, but they quickly catch up.

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    dry - a dry pot scrubber
    wet, moist- magic erasers are great
    don't submerge them .

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:I agree we have done hatches with washed eggs and non washed eggs and there is zero difference in hatch rate.

Steve in NC

9. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    I guess it doesn't matter....wash or not. But eggs have pores and I would be afraid of washing the protected covering the egg has. Of course it would depend how desperate I was with the breed of chicken I wanted to incubate...I believe the damp rag wipe would be the best route or let the cat have a treat.
    Glad to hear people are having successful hatches!

10. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks for all the info....I think I will damp wipe them & throw a pile into the bator today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by