washing eggs OK?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankenchick, Jan 25, 2010.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I understood it that washing eggs removes the film over the pores in the eggs, allowing air in and speeding up deterioration. Is that correct? Or would rinsing them with lukewarm water be okay? I keep a little brush in the coop, but sometimes poo will be dried on and I can't get it off.

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    What you said is right, the layer that is added on to the shell of the egg to preserve it is removed by, as I understand it, contact with any temp of water. What I do is brush off poo and stuff as best as I can, then wash them just before I use them. If you are planning on selling the eggs, I imagine it may be a different matter.

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I sell my eggs so have to scrub them with a soapy sponge under warm water to get all the stinky poop freckles and smears off [​IMG]

I don't know if it spoils the eggs, nobody has said anything yet... [​IMG]

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I wash mine too.

5. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Thanks. I wonder if washed eggs would keep longer if rubbed with food-grade mineral oil (FGMO). Or would that be an unnecessary extra step? I could just wash eggs I'm selling, I guess.

6. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    I'm interested in finding this out, too. I've been selling eggs for two months now, so I've been trying to figure this out as well.

From what i've learned I've decided to just brush off if possible, or hot water on a papertowel if a smear, or if must be washed use a veggie brush under

hot running water. The water is supposed to be hot because cold water will cause the egg to "suck in" the water, possibly contaminating the egg. That being said, commercial

egg washers submerge the egg in water/washing powder solution, and then some spray with oil.

I was wondering if I should get one of those olive oil misters for cooking and spray with food grade mineral oil as well?

No farmers I know do this, so anyone here do it? Or not?

Also, someone brought up the fact that since I am selling them so fresh, and commercial ones can be much older by the time they make it to the public, they last just as long

anyway?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    Washing eggs is OK. It's a shame that advice on not washing eggs has been circulated as much as it has because it is bad advice. It doesn't harm the eggs and it does remove any possibility of salmonella bacteria which can cause food poisoning getting inside the shell. A good washing provides clean fresh eggs for you and your egg customers. Unless one plans on keeping the eggs for months they do not need to be coated with oil spray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by