WASHING EGGS - WATER TEMPS

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by E-Chick, May 10, 2009.

1. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Not sure which forum to put this in...
    [Moderator, please move thread to a more appropriate area if desired]

So, I've been trying to find info on washing eggs (the germaphobe in me). I realize that it is NOT a good thing if storing, but I would like to be able to do so right before use IF a particular egg looks too dirty. I know, I know, I'm weird.

I also was wanting to see what the laws and regs are here in California to sell the eggs. What a tangled mess it is trying to find an answer.

I *did* find the following info intended for egg processing. In part, it gives guidelines for washing, refrigerating, and labeling.

Item "d" shows the water temp guidelines if anyone is interested.

Please also note and comment on the other 2 items that I highlighted in bold "chlorine levels in rinse water...", and "If eggs are to be oiled..." Never heard of that one!

===================================================

EGG PROCESSING PLANT PLANS

Egg processing plant plans will be discussed in more detail in the training session on egg processing. When you are writing your plan be as specific as possible.

ITEM 13 - FOLLOW PLANT OPERATING GUIDELINES.

a) Facilities and equipment must be kept in good repair and shall be completely washed at the end of each day's operation.

b) Lighting should be adequate to properly identify egg defects in the candling booth and processing area.

c) Potable water with less than 2 ppm of iron shall be used.

d) Wash water shall be maintained at 90oF or higher and at least 20oF higher than the temperature of the eggs to be washed.

e) A USDA approved cleaning compound shall be used in the wash water.

f) Wash water shall be added continuously and replaced every four hours.

g) Washed eggs shall be spray rinsed with warm water and a USDA approved sanitizer.

h) If eggs are to be oiled follow USDA guidelines.

Describe your plant location and the processing equipment to be used. Describe how and when your plant will be cleaned (minimum is daily). Your water should be analyzed for iron content at least annually if municipal water is used. When well water is used water must be checked for iron content twice per year and before a new well is used. Egg wash water temperatures and chlorine levels in rinse water must be monitored and recorded at least twice per 8 hour shift. Internal egg temperature should also be checked and recorded. Describe the cleaning compound that will be used for egg washing (a copy of the label should be appended to the plan). If eggs are oiled specify the methods to be used; attach a product label.

ITEM 14 - REFRIGERATE EGGS ACCORDING TO APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL LAWS.

Egg refrigeration is important because lower temperature retards bacterial growth. Egg cooling room temperatures must be checked and recorded at least twice per day to assure proper equipment function.

ITEM 15 - LABEL EGG CARTONS AND CASES WITH A "KEEP REFRIGERATED" OR SIMILAR DESCRIPTOR TO EDUCATE CONSUMERS ABOUT PERISHABILITY.

Consumers, retail outlets and commercial kitchens sometimes don't refrigerate eggs. This descriptor is meant to encourage refrigeration of eggs at all times.

ITEM 16 - LABEL EGG CARTONS AND LOOSE PACK EGGS WITH A JULIAN PACK DATE TO ASSIST WITH PRODUCT ROTATION. AN OPTIONAL "SELL BY" DATE MAY BE USED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE PACKER AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT EXCEED 30 DAYS FROM DATE OF PACK.

Older eggs are more likely to support bacterial growth. Dating is required to encourage proper rotation of product at retail or by commercial customers.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/ts1.html#s4

2. E-Chick

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Does anyone have info on selling eggs at local farmer's market in California? Or do you know of a website that lists the guidelines? I can't seem to find the right info.

I would love to be able to do so, eventually. Just don't want to piss Big Brother off! [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    What you found is likely for commercial egg farms that are reselling to grocery stores, etc.

Most states allow you to sell off your property for personal use. Going to a Farmers Market probably has a high level of requirements, like refrigeration and marking them as ungraded.

Check the CA dept of Agriculture. They should have the info you need on the laws in your area.

4. E-Chick

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Thank you Terrie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by