Washing eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer413, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Farmer413

Farmer413 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm sorry I'm starting another thread about this, but there seems to be a lot of different views on this topic. I prefer, I think, to wash eggs before I put them in my refrigerator. How long are they good for once washed? What if they are not refrigerated, but washed?

If I do wash them what is the proper way to wash them? Also, are the wipes for eggs any good or the Egg washes?

I've read the many advantages to not washing them. How long are they good for unwashed refrigerated, not refrigerated?

I'm new to this. My Views may change, but I can't see myself putting an unwashed egg in the refrigerator.

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I always wash them and then put them in the fridge. I wouldn't eat them after a month, but I'm sure they are fine even longer than that.

3. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    the eggs you buy in the store (in the USA) have a month to get them washed and in the carton.. then the carton is marked w/ a exp date that is 30 days from when they were put into the carton... .. a lot of countries it is not common or legal to sell washed or refrig eggs... if you wash at wrong temp bacteria can get sucked in....If you wash.. the 'bloom' (protective coating) is washed off and they should be refrigerated within a few hours

I don't wash and leave on the counter for a couple of months.. I just used some from the end of Dec and they were all good... even peeled well LOL

4. rollernose

rollernose New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    If you don't wash them you leave them out on the counter or in a pantry? We just got our first ever and did't wash them. But we did put them in the refrigerator. Is that a problem?
    Thanks

5. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    I leave them on the counter
    I should add that the 'bloom' can get removed if the eggs get cold and then warm up.. condensation
    so if I get a cold egg I do put that in the frig.. I don't wash them... I do wash a dirty egg and refrig or use it right away... but I get few of those and I collect several times a morning so usually the eggs are still warm.

6. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I don't wash my eggs, and I leave them out sometimes for couple of weeks before they get eaten.I do wash them right before I crack them though.

7. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's good. I don't like the thought of the egg touching the dirty outside shell when you crack them....

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I do the same, though I refrigerate my unwashed eggs after gathering them.

If an egg is really dirty I'll wash it immediately, refrigerate, and use it "next" in line.

9. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I think we all do it differently!

10. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We don't wash eggs or store them in the fridge. They're dated and kept on the counter. If we happen to get a dirty egg, it does get washed and refrigerated.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by