1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washing Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silverwing0904, Mar 11, 2009.

1. silverwing0904

silverwing0904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    I've heard lots of rumors about washing eggs and I wanted to know the safe way to wash the eggs.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You'll get lots of opinions here on BYC about the best way to handle fresh eggs.
    I have a rooster (fertile eggs) and several egg customers. I wash mine in plain hot water, as hot as my hands can stand it. Dry them well and refrigerate. If I didn't have a rooster I probably wouldn't be in such a hurry to get them in the frig.
    ETA: I don't wash the eggs that we keep for our own use, unless they are dirty. My customers insist on having theirs clean.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    as for how "safe" i dont know but i use just warn water and a wash cloth there is an egg brush link below for nasco http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/Poultry+Equipment/Egg+Products/Washers+&+Detergents/
    and a very nice egg washer i have my eye on i only was the eggs that really need it and those that do not clean up real well are used at home and not sold also my eggs dont stararound very long with in a week after colection they are almost always used up.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    So many opinions on BYC.

I wash them in HOT water with a scrubby.

Commercial eggs are washed.

I wouldn't eat a dirty egg....or sell one.

I refrig. immediately after washing.

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
  7. silverwing0904

silverwing0904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Everyone on BYC is so helpful.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I wash my eggs with hot water (it needs to be at least 10-15 degrees hotter than the egg) and a dab of Dawn on a scrubby.

I do the same with those that I set in the incubator. The folks are right, you'll find lots of opinions. I've found there to be no difference in hatch rates from eggs that are washed to those that are not. So I figure why allow anymore bacteria into the incubator than necessary.

God Bless,

9. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    And this question from the germaphobe . . I wash mine in hot water in a little plastic container and a little dish detergent, rinse, hot water, dip in another small container filled with hot water and a few drops of bleach. I then dry them and refrigerate. (even wash out egg cartons and dry them that friends save for me) Should I keep these containers seperate, wash them separately or just wash them with my regular dishes? I am totally serious. Any reasons not to wash the "washing containers" in with my regular dishes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by