washing eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DUccleDude, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DUccleDude

DUccleDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    HI,
    I just got a complaint about goose eggs that I shipped. The lady I shipped to said she had never got eggs that are dirty. I told her that you should never wash eggs that you are going to incubate. She responded by saying she used to not wash them but after washing them her hatch rate went up. To wash or not to wash that is the question?[​IMG]

2. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    This is a controversial subject. Next you'll be wondering what to wash them with. [​IMG]

Seriously, I'm not joking when I say that everyone has an opinion on this.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I say dont wash , not just because everyone on here is mostly non wash but becuase what I have read on online sites, in journals and magazines and in books they ether dont mentionit at all or say dont becuase you deystroy the speacail coating on the eggs and because eggs are porous and what you put on the egg can go into the egg.

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I don't wash mine....

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont wash mine, but if they are really dirty I dip them in brinsea incubation disinfectant.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I wash mine now. My experience has been there is no difference between washed and unwashing hatch rates. So I wash. Why have any more bacteria in an incubator than is absolutely necessary?

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by